What’s Goin’ On?

Welcome Back Day the first of many events for students
Welcome Back Day 2011

Though Nicholls is a place of academics, students still need to squeeze in some fun in their hectic schedules. Several social events occur during the school year, and there are certain events that should not be missed.
Welcome Back Day occurs every year during the first full week of the fall semester. Food, music, games and plenty of free keepsakes surround the Quadrangle as students walk around socializing with one another.
Student organizations set up booths to familiarize themselves with incoming and returning students looking to join. This is a great event for students to attend in order to get used to the idea of getting comfortable with being back on campus for another semester.
Sabrina Laurent, co-chair of Welcome Back Day, said the event will take place from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
“This is an important event for students, so we are absolutely determined to make sure that it is not missed by the University,” Laurent said.  “The plan is the same that it was before Hurricane Isaac, just a different date.”
Shortly after Welcome Back Day, students can begin to plan for what is arguably the most anticipated event of the school year:  Homecoming.
Homecoming is a weeklong event consisting of an array of different activities given by numerous organizations on campus. These events include a pirogue race, Alive at Five, and the late night breakfast and dance in the student union. Most importantly, of course, is the Homecoming football game. Students, parents and Nicholls alumni gather near Guidry Stadium to tailgate as the Colonel football team prepares for victory on the field. Every student should definitely make sure they are included in all of the festivities that homecoming has to offer. Homecoming Week 2012 is Oct. 6 through Oct. 13.
If students are seeking inspiration through spoken word, dance, vocal performances and more, the speech department’s Relate event is the place to be.
Relate is held periodically throughout each semester and gives students the opportunity to showcase their creative talents as they “relate” to the theme of that specific session. In the past, topics have included love, fear and passion. Relate is a therapeutic experience for both the performers and the audience as talent is showcased and thoughts are shared amongst those who are going through similar experiences in life.
Students interested in attending sporting events should keep their eyes peeled for upcoming games for the various sports teams on campus.

Sporting events happening on campus are free for students and are a great place to showcase school spirit. Colonel pride is something that every student should embrace and a great way to showcase that pride is by supporting our athletes by cheering them on to victory.
Because Nicholls is located along a bayou in southern Louisiana, it is no surprise that it is a must for the University to supply the community with seafood.
Toward the end of the spring semester, the Student Programming Association holds Crawfish Day near Guidry Stadium. As the school year comes to a close, students are rewarded for all of their hard work with crawfish, music, and games. Crawfish Day is one of Nicholls’ largest and most anticipated events. Full-time students, faculty and staff are admitted free with a Colonel Card.
So, as students plan their year, these events are a must for every Colonel to attend. However, one should not limit themselves to just these events. Make sure you search for events held by various organizations on campus.