Branch breaks out

Personal opinion

Pop princesses Britney Spears and Christina Aguliera have nothing on up-and-coming pop/rock newcomer Michelle Branch. Branch, a 17-year-old from Flagstaff, Arizona, recently released her debut album, “The Spirit Room.”

On all 11 tracks, Branch is self-expressive and on her way to shock and dazzle audiences.

“Everywhere” is not only the first track on the album, but Branch’s first released single. The catchy chorus will keep this song running through your mind all day.

“All You Wanted” has an original beginning with Branch powerfully expressing her lyrics, which come off as very mature for her age and quite insightful.

“So I’m a little left of center/ so I’m a little out of tune/ some say I’m just paranormal/ so I just bend their spoon,” is what Branch belts out on “You Get Me.” This is just a great song, nothing more can be said.

On “You Set Me Free,” Branch begins softly and then goes into a rockier up-tempo beat. Her voice has an innocence and sweetness about it which even plays her off as a tad bit sassy.

“Something to Sleep To” is full of changes. It starts off with an old turntable sound, moves into a heavy guitar riff and then totally rocks out. This is an amazing blend of all types of sounds, which works well for Branch.

An ocean sound flows from “Here With Me.” This sound is combined with choppy lyrics to form another one of Branch’s masterpieces.

“I was weak and you were strong and me and my guitar we strummed along” brings out the “Sweet Misery” of track seven. Branch sings about this relationship with amazing power.

“If Only She Knew” has great guitar riffs and a unique way of putting it all together to make yet another great song that has a Hanson pop sound.

“I’d Rather Be In Love” features a background beat similar to that found in Sneaker Pimps’ “6 Underground.”

Branch is certainly an up-and-coming singer/songwriter, and the fact that she writes her own lyrics and plays the guitar on many of her tracks makes it worth the time to listen to.

Although she may be compared to Stevie Nicks, Fiona Apple and Sheryl Crow, Branch is all her own.

Branch holds enough spirit to fill your room with great sound.