Vagina Monologues set to raise awareness and funds

“The Vagina Monologues” will be performed on Feb.14 to 16 at 7 p.m. in order to raise awareness against the violence of women and children.
The first performance of the Vagina Monologues will be held in the Student Union’s Cotillion Ballroom at 7 p.m., and the last two performances will be held in the Mary M. Danos Theater in Talbot Hall at 7 p.m.
Cost of the tickets is $5 for students, faculty and staff and $10 general admission before opening night. Tickets will be $10 for everyone at the door.
“The Vagina Monologues,” a play written by Eve Ensler, consists of a composition of different monologues that are read by women discussing controversial topics such as rape, sex, love, violence, menstruation, childbirth and the female genitalia.
The play’s casts features 12 female cast members under the direction of Stacy Guidry, assistant director of the counseling center.
Ninety percent of the proceeds will go to the Women’s Resources and Services Center, and 10 percent will go toward the global V-Day movement that focuses on ending the violence against women and children.
“V-Day stands for whatever you want it to stand for,” said Alicia Kozak, psychological counseling graduate student from Denham Springs and producer of the play. “Some people think it’s Valentine’s Day, which is the first time they ever did the show 15 years ago. Some people think it is End the Violence Day. V-Day doesn’t have a specific meaning other than being about women, loving yourself and stopping the violence.”
Although “The Vagina Monologues” is primarily about promoting the empowerment of women, men are encouraged to attend. Some men around campus have been active in promoting this production. The men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. have been promoting the event along with the cast in the student union.
“I think it is awesome to see a group of men who are secure enough in themselves and also wanting to support women in the sense of empowerment,” Kozak said.
The Interfraternity Council is also supporting the cause by purchasing three tickets for each fraternity within the council on campus. This will assure that at least three male representatives will be in attendance.
Stephanie Eshleman, athletic training senior from New Orleans and an actress in the production, said this play gave her a better sense of who she is as a woman.
“I learned how to better accept myself for who I am, and I’ve learned how to deal with things that I’ve gone through personally,” Eshleman said. “Before I began working on this play, I was not as strong of a woman as I am now, and it has only been three weeks since we began practicing for the play. I feel a lot more confident in my sexuality, personality and being a woman. Just because I am a woman does not mean that I am weak. I am a strong person.”
Kozak encourages everyone to attend the play and better educate themselves on what it is to be a woman.
“Give it a chance. Go with your eyes and your mind open,” Kozak said. “Just allow yourself to have a good time.”