Opportunity for parade goers to park on Nicholls campus

Nicholls State University is offering free and paid parking for vehicles and campers during the Krewe of Cleophas and the Krewe of Chronos parades on Feb. 10.
“Any space along the parade route is sold to parade-goers,” Molly Manning, assistant director of parking services, said.
Parade-goers had the option to buy space for campers and vehicles for both weekends of this year’s parades. Campers plus one vehicle would total $200, for just a vehicle $50, Manning said. People who wish to come and park their vehicles the day of the parade this weekend will be charged $10.
According to the University Parking Services website, “Campers are allowed to park between 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. the Saturday before the parades. They are allowed to stay overnight, but must leave following the parade.”
The spaces will be available to vehicles at 8 a.m. the day of the parade for reserved parking and 9 a.m. for vehicles purchasing a space the day of the parade.
“The money collected from parking for Mardi Gras goes into a fund that pays for the labor during the parades,” Eugene Dial, vice president for student affairs and enrollment services, said. “This includes the people that clean up after parades and the police protection throughout.”
According to Dial, the University started charging when budget cuts became an issue, because they did not want Mardi Gras costing money that could go towards academics. The fee also covers purchases of barricades and other items used to maintain order.
There is also free parking for vehicles in the interior lots on campus not directly located on the parade route.  There will also be portable toilets provided by the City of Thibodaux for the parades.
Along with parking services, the University also has other parade precautions.
“The University blocks parking spaces along Audubon to prevent vehicles from blocking the areas in front of student housing,” Craig Jaccuzzo, director of University Police, said. “These types of precautions help the University keep things organized and in control. In the past, the University property was subject to damage during Mardi Gras.”
The University also meets with the Carnival Clubs before the season starts to make sure each club knows the rules and expectations.
“We develop areas that are no-throw zones for the club to follow, rules about behavior of club members on campus, and how they plan to clean up the trash after the parade,”  Jaccuzzo said.
University officials wish students a safe and fun Mardi Gras holiday.
“Mardi Gras can be a fun time, but it can also be a time when accidents can happen,” Dial said.
Jaccuzzo wants all faculty, staff and students to know that Mardi Gras comes once a year and is meant to be fun, but that no one should drink and drive.
“If anyone decides to drink alcoholic beverages, they should be careful and drink safely,” he said.