Nicholls student wins Miss Thibodaux competition

Photo by: Submitted Photo
Shyla Vizier, freshman from Plattenville, won the title of Miss Thibodaux 2010.

A Nicholls freshman and pageant veteran from Plattenville has won the title of Miss Thibodaux 2010. Shyla Vizier said the win was unexpected.

“I’ve never gone to a pageant expecting to win,” Vizier said. “I always get the runner-up.”

Vizier said the decision to enter the contest was something that came up at the last minute.

“I actually wasn’t planning on entering the pageant at all, but I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to enter a few days before, when I found out my boyfriend was going fishing that day,” Vizier said. “I wasn’t going to have anything else to do, so I entered the pageant on a whim. I had no idea I was going to win.”

The title gives Vizier the opportunity to compete in the Miss Louisiana pageant, whose winner competes nationally for Miss USA. The competitions are part of the Miss Universe contest system, which is a separate entity from the Miss America competition.

“A lot of people don’t know they are two different systems,” Vizier said.

Competing in the contest has given Vizier a broader view of the surrounding area in which she holds the title.

“Now that I am living in Thibodaux and attending Nicholls, I see what a wonderful city it is,” Vizier said. “The educational system is great, and there are many recreational activities to pursue, as well as numerous historical landmarks around the city. There are also many unique shops and restaurants in Thibodaux.”

Contestants in the Miss Thibodaux pageant compete in three separate categories: interview, on-stage formal wear and photogenic contest events.

Vizier said the hardest part of the contest was the on-stage portion.

“[The stage] was kind of unstable,” Vizier said. “You had to model three dresses and walk on a makeshift kind of stage.”

Vizier said she has been involved with these types of contests for a number of years.

“I started doing pageants when I was 13, but I hadn’t done one in two years prior to winning Miss Thibodaux.”

Vizier’s break between pageants has not affected her sense of competition or devotion to the title’s responsibilities, she said. She has already scheduled various appearances as Miss Thibodaux.

“I also travel around the state to various pageants and festivals to promote Thibodaux,” Vizier said.

Vizier, a member of the Delta Zeta sorority and the honors program, said her title has given her the opportunity to meet people from across the state.

Vizier said she is uncertain if she will continue to compete in any upcoming contests because of how time-consuming they are. She said her future plans include transferring to Monroe to pursue her pharmacy degree.