English student places in cook-off third year in a row

A University English junior from Houma has placed in the Annual Courier Bayou Gourmet Cook-Off for the third year in a row this February.
Jena McCoy placed third in the Appetizer/Bread category in this year’s competition in Houma for her Salmon Sliders.
“The Salmon Sliders are actually an evolution of a recipe I used to make all the time,” McCoy said. “I used to make a full-sized salmon burger out of ground fresh salmon instead of beef. I just miniaturized them to appetizer size.”
McCoy said the patties, which are mixed with herbs and spices, are lightly pan-fried, topped with a mascarpone cheese spread and placed on a small bun of homemade bread.
The Houma Courier, the Louisiana State University Agriculture Center and other local sponsors present the Bayou Gourmet Cook-Off each year.
While there is a first, second and third place winner in each category, there is also an overall winner titled Grand Chef. The Grand Chef winner takes home a prize of $500. In the 2008 contest, McCoy’s first time competing, she won the Grand Chef award for her Couscous omelette, which she said is a combination of pasta, turkey sausage, vegetables and cheeses, topped off by stirring in an egg as it is finishes cooking.
“It makes it super creamy,” McCoy said.
Another award-winning dish that McCoy created for a previous competition was her Greek lasagna.
McCoy said her love of Greek food was what inspired her to create the dish.
While containing the classic lasagna ingredients of beef, noodles and cheese, McCoy also adds grilled eggplant and tomato slices, along with replacing the marinara with tzatziki.
“This sauce is usually found on a Greek gyro sandwich,” McCoy said.
The entry forms for the annual contest are found in The Courier about a month before it takes place. Applicants sign up a recipe in various categories and wait to see if they are finalists.
“You bring the cooked dish to the location of the contest,” McCoy said. “And from there, it’s a bit of waiting while the food is judged, but it’s so exciting.”
There is no entry fee for the competition, which is open to anyone who wants to participate.
McCoy said she is excited about next year’s dish.
“I’m thinking of treading into the dessert category,” McCoy said. “This would be a real challenge for me, but I’d like to take it on.”
McCoy said while she enjoys cooking, she wouldn’t pursue it on a professional level.
“Cooking is a real passion of mine. I was almost a culinary major but decided I really enjoyed cooking for myself and family over anything else,” McCoy said. “It’s more of a hobby than a career prospect.”
For more information on the Annual Courier Bayou Cook-Off, contact The Courier or the LSU Agricultural Center.