Fewer students in residence halls compared to fall

Anthony Plaisance, English sophomore from Galliano, helps Sarah Lebert, English junior from Prairieville, move back into Ellender Hall Sunday.
Photo by: Jamison Taylor

There are fewer students utilizing on campus housing this semester compared to last fall semester, which University officials said they expected.Eugene Dial, vice president of student affairs and enrollment services, said it is not unusual for a university to have fewer students living on campus in the spring compared to the fall.

“The same scenario occurs every year at institutions across the country,” Dial said.

Kim Montague, director of auxiliary services, said there are more students who leave mid-year than there are new students coming in.

Most high school students not graduating until the spring and 660 University students receiving degrees in December 2009 contributed to the vacancies. Dial said the University expects about 175 to 200 less students living on campus during the spring semester each year.

Students currently living on campus said they are pleased with the quality of life they receive and like the independence they gain from living on their own.

Montague said positive reasons to live in residence halls include meeting new friends, learning how to interact with peers in a living and learning community, leadership opportunities and having the traditional collegiate experience.

Caitlin Cowen, freshman from Thibodaux, said her main incentive for living on campus was that housing was provided for her through a scholarship.

“I also like the freedom and the closeness,” Cowen said.

Alex Tullos, business freshman from Thibodaux, agreed that the freedom and closeness were incentives for living in the residence hall and said she plans to live on campus again next year in La Maison Du Bayou apartments.

Cowen and Tullos said the only problem they have with living on campus is the inconvenience of having to check in visitors at the halls.

Dial said the University would continue to market the amenities to incoming students in order to increase the number of students who live on campus.

New students will have the opportunity to learn about residence life through campus tours, the University website, literature and word of mouth, Montague said.

Currently, 1,161 students live in the residence halls, but 1,290 applications have been submitted for on campus housing next year. Dial said he encourages students interested in living on campus next year to submit applications as early as possible since assignments are made based on date of application.