Colonel softball currently third in Southland Conference

Senior utility Natalie Travasos looks to make a catch during the March 26 game against Central Arkansas.  The Colonels won 3-2.
Photo by: Katelyn Thibodeaux
Senior utility Natalie Travasos looks to make a catch during the March 26 game against Central Arkansas. The Colonels won 3-2.

With four more conference series left in the season, the Colonel softball team is third in Southland Conference standings.The Colonels are currently 20-11 overall with a 12-6 conference record. They are one of five teams in the SLC to record a double-digit winning record.

Leading in the batter’s box is sophomore Kayla Watterson with a .356 batting average, posting 26 hits in 73 at bats and reaching home plate 11 times. Watterson has also sent in 14 teammates to home plate.

Also in the box is sophomore outfielder Megan Gaspard with a .280 batting average. This left-handed slap hitter has made 107 appearances in the box, producing 30 hits. While only recording one triple, Gaspard has recorded three RBI’s. She has found the plate 19 times, ranking second in the team, following senior pitcher Audrey Wood with 21.

Senior pitcher Lacey Gros lead the Colonels in the circle, starting in 11 of the Colonels’ games with a record of 10-4. Gros has a 2.62 ERA in her 93.1 innings pitched. She has also struck out 104 of the 342 batters she has faced.

Also in the circle is Wood, junior transfer Carlee Winkelmann and true freshman Ashton Bennett.

Wood carries a 3.34 ERA in her 52.1 innings pitched. She has secured five wins with a 5-2 record. After facing 220 batters, she has allowed 12 free bases and struck out 29.

Wood also has a batting average of .315, recording a team high of seven home runs, two triples and six doubles, following Watterson with 10.

Winkelmann carries the lowest ERA with a 2.50. She holds a 5-3 record and has started seven times in the circle. In her 42 innings, she has faced 164 batters, allowing only five walks and has never hit a batter. She has only allowed 18 opponents to reach home, four with a home run.

Bennett comes to the Colonels by way of Doyle High School in Livingston, La. She has made five appearances and four starts for the Colonels with a 0-2 record. She has pitched 21.1 innings and has an ERA of 5.25 while only allowing four walks and striking out 21 of the 91 batters she has faced.

The Colonels will take on sixth ranked University of Texas-San Antonio in a double header Saturday 1 p.m. and Sunday 12 p.m.