Two Colonels continue football career in the NFL

Freshman wide receiver Mike Barba tries to tackle senior defensive back Dominique Daniels (13) during practice Aug. 15 at John L. Guidry Stadium.
Photo by: Amanda Jefferson

Senior defensive back Dominique Daniels and senior wide receiver Antonio Robinson will follow in the footsteps of 2008 National Football League draftee Kareem Moore and 2009 National Football League draftee Ladarius Webb.On Sunday afternoon, the Colonels were notified that Robinson was drafted to the Chicago Bears. The Colonels received more good news on Monday morning when it was announced Daniels would be putting on an Atlanta Falcon uniform for the 2010 National Football League.

Daniels knows well what footsteps he is following in, having played with both Webb and Moore.

“It’s a privilege to have played with those guys,” Daniels said. “It’s an honor every day I go to practice. I think about those guys and about what they had to go through to get to where they are at.”

As a freshman in the 2006 season, Daniels saw action in seven games, playing both a back-up roll on defense and participating in special teams.

In special teams, Daniels served as a kick return specialist for both punts and kickoffs, as well as recorded two tackles on the season.

Three of the kickoffs Daniels faced were run back for a total of 38 yards, 20 yards being the longest run. Daniels also returned four punts for a total of 36 yards, 20 yards also being the longest return.

As a sophomore in 2007, Daniels saw action in nine games acting as a back-up for Moore, one of the best defensive back units in the conference.

“It was a good opportunity to experience and learn from those guys,” Daniels said. “I know what I have to do to get where I want to be in life now.”

When he did see action, Daniels recorded five tackles, four of which were solo. Three of his tackles were against Azusa Pacific, as was his only interception, in which he returned 27 yards.

As a junior in 2008, Daniels saw action in eight games, improving his number of tackles to 17 total, 13 of which were solo. Six of the tackles were in the Stephen F. Austin game in which he also recorded one pass break-up.

In his last season as a Colonel, Daniels posted a start in every game of the season. He finished second on the team in tackles, posting 42 total, broke up five passes, recorded an interception and was responsible for a fumble.

Daniels ends his career at Nicholls with 66 total tackles and two interceptions.

Robinson came to the Colonels in 2008 after attending Rainy River Community College, where he scored seven times, accumulating 933 yards in his two years. He was also named junior college All-American after his sophomore year.

When he put on a Colonel uniform in 2008, Robinson led the team with 20 catches for 502 yards and six touchdowns. His best game of the year was against the Demons of Northwestern State University in which he caught four passes for 106 yards and rushed for 30 yards.

In his last season as a Colonel, Robinson had 490 yards on 27 receptions, four touchdowns scored and 159 rushing yards.

When he put on a Colonel uniform in 2008, Robinson led the team with 20 catches for 502 yards and six touchdowns. His best game of the year came against the Demons of Northwestern State University when he caught four passes for 106 yards as well as rushed for 30 yards.

Robinson also led the Football Championship Subdivision averaging 25.1 yards per catch.

In his last season as a Colonel, Robinson had 490 yards on 27 receptions, scored four touchdowns and had 159 rushing yards.

In addition to Robinson’s offensive contributions, he also contributes to defense by recording three total tackles. Two of his tackles came in the Sept. 12 game against Duquesne where he posted two solo tackles. Robinson’s other tackle came in the Sam Houston State game where he posted one assisted tackle.

“It’s all in the game,” Robinson said. “I just have to be there to tackle them. In the beginning of summer practice, coach had a tackling drill of the offensive guys so you just have to know how to tackle.”

Also in his final year, Robinson was an All- Southland Second Team selection as well as returns specialist honorable mention honors.

With both Daniels and Robinson being drafted, this will be the fourth consecutive year a Colonel football player is either drafted or has signed a post-draft free agent deal dating back to Jacob Bender, who was drafted to the New York Jets in 2007.

Senior wide receiver Antonio Robinson prepares to back up a teammate during the Homecoming game against Jacksonville State Oct. 26 at John L. Guidry Stadium. (Kameryn Rome)