Colonels try to stay in hunt for tournament

The Colonel baseball team picked up its second conference series win last weekend, defeating the Bears of Central Arkansas.The series win put the Colonels back in the eighth seeded spot, which gives them a bid to the Southland Conference Tournament.

The Colonels last picked up a series win on March 12-14 when the Colonels went two of three at home, defeating the Cardinals of Lamar. The last time the Colonels took a road series win was in the 2008 season with a two for three showing against the Mavericks of the University of Texas-Arlington.

While holding the eighth and final seed for the SLC Tournament, the Colonels are also working on their record.

The Colonels are 17-18 overall in the season with an 8-10 conference record with 18 more games left in the season, 15 of them conference match-ups. The Colonels need two more wins to tie last season’s overall wins of 19.

If the Colonels earn three more wins, it will be the first time the team records a 20-win season since 2005 when the Colonels went 22-31.

Also, if the Colonels earn two more wins in conference play, it will be the first time since 2002 the Colonels produce a 10-plus conference win season.

The Colonel baseball team will update record books when they take on the Bearkats of Sam Houston State this weekend in Huntsville, Texas. Match-ups are set for 6:30 p.m. Friday, 2 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. Sunday.