Computer science class creates iPhone application

Kent White, associate professor of computer science, assists Nick Bilello, computer science senior from Thibodaux, and Joshua Falgout, computer science junior from Houma, during their iPhone Development class Tuesday in Peltier Hall.  Students in the clas
Photo by: Bridget Mire
Kent White, associate professor of computer science, assists Nick Bilello, computer science senior from Thibodaux, and Joshua Falgout, computer science junior from Houma, during their iPhone Development class Tuesday in Peltier Hall. Students in the clas

A University computer science class has created a free Nicholls iPhone application with several features that will soon be available on the iTunes market.The application, called “Nicholls,” was created by a group of students in the CMPS 410 course, “Special Topics,” taught by Kent White, associate professor of mathematics and computer science.

“This was the first time the class was offered,” White said. “No one had previous iPhone application creating experience.”

White said the students were divided up into teams to work on different areas of the project to learn the new language and interface.

“Some worked on XML, and others on Mac,” White said.

A total of nine students worked together to bring the application to its completion.

The team included computer science majors, Timmy Authement, senior from Chauvin, Nick Bilello, senior from Thibodaux, Joshua Falgout, junior from Houma, Justin Verret, senior from Morgan City, Arthur LeJeune, junior from Schriever, and Chad Fanguy, senior from Thibodaux, and mathematics majors, Holly Acosta, junior from Lockport, Alexys Peltier, senior from Gramercy, and Steven Recinos, senior from Morgan City.

Authement said the application would be a great help for incoming freshmen.

“It allows you to log into BlackBoard and the faculty directory,” Authement said. “There is also a list of buildings, and it shows a Google map of the campus.”

Students using the program will be able to pull up the entire faculty directory or search for professors by name. Once a professor is selected, the user will be able to view that professor’s information. The professor’s name, rank, department, phone number, e-mail and office number are listed on the page.

“It will be useful to contact a professor,” White said. “Anything you can do on BlackBoard, you will be able to do on your phone.”

A feature new students may find helpful is the buildings list. A student will be able to select a building from the list, and a Google Map will pinpoint its location.

White said a future update he would like to see on the application is a detailed map of each building.

“The map will show a floor plan of the building so students will be able to find a class,” White said.

These future updates to the application will be made with the help of student workers.

In addition to the location of buildings and information about professors, the application will help students stay updated with its current events and news features.

Even though it has not yet been released, White said the application has received the praise of the administration.

“We showed it to Dr. Hulbert, and he was enthusiastic about it,” White said. “He thought it would be something helpful to students.”

Authement said that before the Nicholls application can be downloaded, it must be submitted to Apple, go through the approval process and be put in the iTunes store.

“It will hopefully be available by August 1,” White said.

The class has also left its students looking toward their next ventures in creating applications.

Authement said he is hoping to develop another application outside of the classroom, although he is not sure of what it will be.