Saints come marching back

New Orleans Saints announce their return to Nicholls for training camp

The New Orleans Saints have made their draft picks, and have also picked Nicholls as the site of their 2001 training camp. “I think they were very pleased with the facilities here at the University,” Mike Davis, director of purchasing, said.

The number of fans and the crowd’s support, as well as the fact that they are close to New Orleans, also had a lot to do with their decision to return, he said.

“The final draft for the renewing contract has not yet been finalized, and that is delaying the signing,” Davis said.

“We had hoped to sign it this week, and it is still perhaps a possibility, but it will probably be next week.”

“In all likelihood, we will probably be signing the contract this time in New Orleans.”

Like last summer, the players and some of the staff will be housed in Ellender Residence Hall for the duration of the training camp.

“We’re hoping to move the coaches and the staff to Calecas Hall, but it has to undergo a major renovation to accommodate them,” Davis said.

“All of the walls, floors, bathrooms and fixtures have to be replaced and upgraded.”

The money the Saints paid to stay in the dormitories last year will go to the purchasing of a new elevator in Ellender Residence Hall, which will be completely redone, he said.

Although the Saints do pay to use the University’s facilities, the amount will vary each year they return.

“There are different sections in the contract. There is a section that deals with the rental of the dormitories.

“We allow them to have up to 150 rooms. Anything over 150 rooms they pay about $1,660 a person,” Davis said.

The University also charges a rental figure for the use of buildings, the practice field and the athletic department, just to name a few.

The University, last year, received about $65,000 for the rental of these places, Davis said.

“Last year they needed improvements to the locker rooms, the practice field and everything like that.

“This year they are requesting improvements to the dormitories, a little bit more improvement to the football field and improvements to our laundry facilities back in the athletic department,” he said.

Right now the athletic department has two small washers and two small dryers. This does not meet the Saints’ requirements, nor does it meet the requirements for the University’s athletic department, Davis said.

“Four new 95 pound washers and four new 115 pound dryers will help take care of the Saints as well as residential services when they need to wash sheets and towels that we often provide for camps during the summer,” he said.

The Saints’ arrival will not have any affect on summer school, however in the fall it will affect the start date for classes, Davis said.

The Saints arrival is set for July 27 and 28, and their anticipated departure date will be August 22.

Because of the Saints stay, many renovations will take place, which is a direct benefit for returning students in the fall.

“The shell parking lot between the softball field and Gouaux Hall will be made a hard surface parking lot,” Davis said.

The dormitory renovations will benefit those students who stay there, he said.

The University receives some money from the state to complete renovations and charges the team to use University facilities, but the amount of publicity Nicholls receives from the deal is invaluable, Davis said.

” I personally am excited to have them here, but I also know it is really good for us.

“But, it has to be under certain circumstances to be good for us, and that is our job to negotiate the contract and make it worth while,” he said.

“It is a big win-win situation for both of us.”