Bush visits Zephyr Stadium in Metairie

METAIRIE — President George W. Bush made an appearance at Zephyr field yesterday. Standing on a podium placed at home plate, he addressed the topic that he calls “Tax Relief Now!” Before the arrival of the President, the Bucktown Allstars performed as well as Percy Sledge and Aaron Neville. Rob Couhig, owner of the Zephyr’s said how great it was to have the President there, and that this has to be the highlight of his life.

Also in attendence were Sheriff Harry Lee, Gov. Mike Foster, Tulane, UNO, and the Zephyr’s baseball teams.

Rep. David Vitter introduced the President upon his arrival by motorcade after deplaning Air Force One at New Orleans International Airport, located just down the road.

“He is here today to support something that is as American as baseball and pecan pie, and that is individual freedom and opportunity.

“That’s why we support the President’s tax cut,” Vitter said.

Vitter said some U.S. Senators think the government cannot afford the tax cut.

“We don’t know what Washington D.C. mansion you are living in senator, but we live in Louisiana and we cannot afford not to have the President’s tax cut,” he said.

Vitter also said if the senators keep not supporting the President’s tax cut, then the people will not be able to afford them.

As President Bush took the field, the Naval band played “Hail to the Chief” and the crowd cheered.

Bush recognized many friends of his and personally thanked them for being there for this rally.

The President talked about his wife and her commitment to education. He encouraged many things to help better the public education system.

“There are some laws we can pass to help people with their lives, and that’s exactly the kind of budget I submitted to the United States Congress.

“It’s a budget that says we can spend more money on the public education system around America. It’s a budget that prioritizes education. The biggest increase of any budget of any department in my budget goes to the department of education,” Bush said.

The President said he is against mandates, and that he is for the local control of schools.

“Everybody understands that if you set low standards, then you get low results. When you raise the bar, when you expect the best, then you start getting the kind of results we want in America,” Bush said.

“No child shall be left behind in the great land called America.”

On his tax system, Bush spoke about how he thinks it will benefit all Americans and the people of Louisiana.

“The surplus in the government’s money is the people’s money,” Bush said.

He said everyone who pays taxes ought to receive tax relief, and that it is not right for Americans to work hard to get ahead, yet pay more taxes for getting ahead.

“If you leave tax payers’ money sitting around in Washington, it is going to get spent, and it is going to get spent on the government. What we need to do is take priorities and always remember whose money we’re talking about,” Bush said.