CASA seeks volunteers

Members of CASA of Terrebonne, a division of the organization Court Appointed Special Advocate, are encouraging Nicholls students to get involved with the program.CASA is a volunteer program whose members help break the cycle of child abuse by speaking in court on behalf of the children and attempting to find safe and permanent homes for them.

Tammy Gibson, executive director of CASA, said volunteers are assigned to a specific case and build a relationship with the child.

“They make sure the child gets everything they need,” Gibson said. “They are the voice of that child.”

Volunteer training includes a study of topics such as child development, diversity, substance abuse, family violence, court systems and sexual abuse.

Volunteers come from different educational, social and career backgrounds and work with a staff advocate supervisor. The supervisors are there to help the volunteer through court and other aspects of their case.

“The main goal is to make sure each child will get a safe and permanent home,” Gibson said. “Children are almost guaranteed to get what they need where CASA is involved.”

While social workers have more than one case, CASA volunteers focus on one child, Gibson said.

Volunteers are required to see the child at least once a month but are allowed to see them as much as they like to.

Gibson has been with the non-profit organization since 2007 and said she has enjoyed her experience.

“It’s just a wonderful feeling to know you’re the reason these kids get what they need,” Gibson said. “It’s indescribable.”

According to a CASA pamphlet, more than 85 percent of volunteers are also employed full-time.

Carla Landry, CASA volunteer from Thibodaux who works for Charter Media, falls into that category.

“I felt that I had to give back,” Landry said. “I started researching, and CASA was all about kids.”

Landry, who has now been a part of CASA for a year, said she plans to continue to be involved with the organization for the rest of her life.

“It’s the best feeling,” Landry said. “It’s awesome.”

While CASA volunteers don’t get paid monetarily, they are paid by the sight of the children’s smiling faces, Landry said.

CASA began as a pilot program in Seattle in January 1977. That year, there were 110 trained volunteers for 498 children. The National Center of State Courts selected CASA as the “best national example of citizen participation in the juvenile justice system” a year later.

There are 930 CASA programs across the country today, which provide support for starting programs, technical assistance, training, fundraising and public awareness services.

“We need young college-aged people to help,” Landry said.