Election candidates compete for students’ votes

Student Government Association president Ryan Donegan looks on as vice president Brittany Taraba moderates Mondays senate meeting. Taraba is running unopposed for SGA president.
Photo by: Glynn Voisin, Jr.
Student Government Association president Ryan Donegan looks on as vice president Brittany Taraba moderates Monday’s senate meeting. Taraba is running unopposed for SGA president.

Students on the ballot for the upcoming Student Government Association and Student Programming Association elections are all expressing one common goal: they want to be the voice of their peers and be able to represent the students in their respective departments.Tierra Anthony, a candidate for SGA vice president, said she hopes to resolve the image that SGA currently portrays to the student body, if elected.

“If our peers do not think highly of our organization, then how can we expect them to come to us when they have problems or questions?”

Anthony said she would also like to resolve the on-campus printing and Internet issues and make the University a more enjoyable and exciting place for students.

Anthony said she ran for SGA vice president because she loved being a senator and working for her classmates and feels that it is now time for her to take her dedication to the next level and become an outstanding vice president, if elected.

John Lombardo, a candidate for SGA vice president, said he would like to increase the senate effectiveness if he is elected. He said that this can be accomplished through increasing senate training and instating a senator mentor program. He also said he would like to give students a way of knowing what SGA is doing by partnering with The Nicholls Worth.

Lombardo said he would also like to create better student life for all by getting more students involved in on-campus activities. He is currently working on a spirit award that could create a better showing at sporting events, and he would like to see the initiation of this program, if he is elected.

“I see that Nicholls has great potential, we have great students, faculty and staff here and we need to create a system that will increase the Nicholls experience for all,” he said.

Lombardo said he ran for SGA vice president because he saw a great opportunity to advance the University in a positive way, make it more competitive among other schools and give back to the University he is proud to be attending.

Peter Jenkins, who was a candidate for SPA president, will no longer be on the ballot for the upcoming elections. Jenkins said he has dropped out of the election because he will probably be taking an internship next semester that will require him to be gone for nine months. Jenkins said he plans to take a semester off of school in order to take the internship.

Jenkins said he thought it would be better on himself, his opponent and the student body if he dropped out now instead of staying in the election, possibly getting elected, and having to leave.

Once he returns from the internship, Jenkins said he plans to get involved in SPA again. He said he will seek a committee chair position if one is available upon his return.

With Jenkins’ withdrawal, Sarita Jonas will be SPA president by acclamation. In a similar case, Brittany Taraba, SGA vice president, will snag the president position after also running unopposed.

SGA/SPA elections will be held April 19, 20 and 21, and voting will take place online. Both organizations are encouraging students to take part in the election process.