Lecture, luncheon to honor women

In conjunction with the Bonnie Bourg Lecture Series, the University will hold the annual Women’s History Month Luncheon, which will include keynote speaker Michelle Benoit and an awards presentation honoring women of achievement.With March being Women’s History Month, the lecture and the luncheon seemed to fit together, so they are both held on the same day, Sabrina Laurent, coordinator of women’s resource and services, said.

“The Bonnie Bourg Lecture series honors a leader in higher education who was a distinguished and innovative teacher, a tireless defender of students, faculty and staff and a model for women in education everywhere,” Laurent said.

Keynote speaker Michelle Benoit is a local writer, producer, director and University graduate. She will be speaking about telling women’s stories through film and about being a female filmmaker.

After the speech, Woman of Achievement Awards will be presented to one faculty/staff member and one student, Chris Coulon, student services secretary, said.

The nominees in the faculty/staff category are: Laura Badeaux, director of Louisiana Center for Women and Government and professor of petroleum services; Angela Hammerli, distinguished service professor of Human Performance Education; Rebecca Lyons, assistant professor, department head and director of Bachelor of Science in Nursing program; and Melissa Goldsmith, assistant professor and assistant librarian.

The nominees in the student category are: Alicia Kozak, sophomore in the College of Business Administration, and Sara Shields, graduate student in Biological Sciences.

Laurent said each woman was nominated based upon whether her achievements contributed to future opportunities for women, if she serves as a role model for women, if she has contributed to the advancement of her field, students and career and/or if she has contributed to the historical legacy of women.

Women’s History Month, which dates back to 1857 when women from New York City factories staged a protest over working conditions, promotes the importance of women in American history. In 1987, Congress declared March as Women’s History Month.

The luncheon will be held on March 25 from noon to 1:30 p.m. The event will tentatively be held in the Century Room and is open to the general public.

The cost of admission is $15, which can be paid at the door. Coulon said reservations should be made in advance to reserve a seat at the luncheon. Reservations can be made by calling Coulon at (985) 448-4080.