Greek Village may soon become reality

Nicholls Greeks may soon have a Greek village on campus to enjoy. Latoya Bailey, Greek advisor, said the village will have one main lodge and individual smaller lodges for each Greek organization that can afford to buy one.

The main building will have a kitchen, bathroom, storage areas, a large meeting room and one or two bedrooms.

“The main building will serve as the area for Interfraternity Council and PANHELLENIC to have its meetings. It will also be in use for the organizations that can’t afford to have its own building,” she said.

Each lodge will have the same structure as the main building, but on a much smaller scale she said.

The idea for having a Greek housing system has been in existence for a long time, but never had the full support needed.

“It has been a long-time dream for the Greeks to have a housing system, but it is very expensive,” Bailey said.

Bailey said having an actual house for each Greek organization was unrealistic.

“It is too expensive for our students to have a house. Plus, the commitment to keep up the house was big too,” she said.

She also said Thibodaux has an ordinance that states women cannot live in community houses.

Because of these issues, she said she checked into the new Greek lodging system at Southeastern Louisiana University.

“The system that they use is exactly what we want at Nicholls, but on a smaller scale,” Bailey said.

“The village is much easier for us to accomplish, and it is perfect for our Greek community to support. Also, I am hoping that the project can be completed in two years, which is a much shorter time period than it would be for houses,” she said.

Funding for the lodges will be paid by each organization.

“The money to pay for the villages will strictly come from the organizations and its members. No state or university money is going to be used for the project,” Bailey said.

The village will be located on the piece of land on Audubon Drive that has the soccer fields and parking lot on it.

“This land was actually granted to the Greeks, but we hadn’t used it, which is why the University used it. However, if we succeed with this project, we know where the village will be,” she said.

Bailey said all the Greeks are really excited about the idea.

“Everyone voted in favor of having the village and they seem really happy about it,” she said.