Athletic training senior has her eye on the future

Chelsey Adams is a current senior in the athletic training program who is set to graduate in May. She is a former student-athlete.
Photo by: submitted photo

March marks athletic training month, and senior Chelsey Adams looks to find her way into the field of athletic training once she graduates in May.Adams is a dual citizen because she was born in Canada while her dad was coaching in the Canadian Football League. Adams moved to various places throughout her 11 years in Canada before making her way to the United States. She likes to consider herself a Canadian.

She lived in Kentucky and Tennessee before attending junior college in Florida after graduating in 2005. Adams then transferred to Nicholls, where she has been ever since.

Adams took a little time out her day to answer a few questions about her life and her time with athletic training at Nicholls.

Q: What made you want to become an athletic trainer?

A: “I wanted to be an athletic trainer because I don’t know life without sports. I went to my first football game when I was two months old. So this way I get the best of both worlds: sports and a job.”

Q: How did you manage being a student-athlete?

A: “It was easy at first being both because I was hurt. I was able to get my clinical hours done without a problem. As I got into my senior year of volleyball and playing more, I really didn’t get much accomplished clinical-wise but still did fine in the classroom.”

Q: What is your favorite aspect of athletic training?

A: “My favorite aspect of athletic training is the anatomy and being the first person to know what is ailing an athlete.”

Q: Where would be your ideal place, team or organization to work as an athletic trainer?

A: “My dream job would either be in a college or professional setting. The dream team to be on would be something indoors, preferably with a men’s team because of the greater intensity of the sport.”

Q: How was being a student-athlete helpful?

A: “It was helpful because I was always hurt, therefore my team’s athletic trainer would always be quizzing me on information. I also have an advantage because I have experienced a lot of the injuries that athletes can possibly have.”

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?

A: “As of right now, being a bum on my parents’ couch. I would like to have my master’s done and working in either a university or something like that, but realistically, it’s a bum. I have not done anything to further my career for myself.”

Q: What would you say to students beginning the athletic training program?

A: “Strive to be the best you can. It gets hard at first, and you feel like you don’t get anything, but keep working at it, and it will come easier to you. Be prepared for five tests a week; that’s normal. I tried to warn people prior to applying, so it’s not my fault some people didn’t want to believe me.”

Q: What has been your favorite memory so far in athletic training?

A: “My favorite memory is happening now. I was able to have baseball as my specialty rotation, and I love it.