Colonel baseball ends four-game losing streak

Junior infielder Chase Jaramillo slides into home base during the March 13 game against Lamar University.
Photo by: Bridget Mire

The Colonels’ baseball team has put an end to yet another streak this season: a four-game losing streak.After an 11-game winning streak came to an end when the Colonels lost to Lamar, the Colonels went on to a four-game losing streak, posting losses against the Cardinals of Lamar and the Tigers of Louisiana State University and two against the Islanders of Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

The Colonels’ first loss came in the last game of a three-game series against the Cardinals. After allowing four runs in the top of the first inning, the Colonels did not rally to sweep the series.

After an impressive 3-1 win against LSU last season, the Colonels fell 10-3 after having the lead twice in the game, earning their second loss of the streak.

The next two losses for the Colonels came in last weekend’s series against the Islanders.

The Colonels lost their first game in the series 14-3, ending in the seventh inning with the 10-run rule in place.

The Islanders plated all the runners they needed to win by the second inning, scoring a total of five to the Colonels’ three.

While the Colonels did not score the rest of the game, the Islanders plated six in the fifth inning, one in the sixth and two in the seventh.

The Colonels’ fourth and final loss in the streak came in the second game of the series, with a 7-5 loss.

The Colonels found themselves in the lead three times but fell in the seventh inning.

The Colonels finally snapped their losing streak in the third game with a 10-2 win over the Cardinals.

Senior pitcher Tyler Minto had a perfect first five innings, allowing no hits, no walks and no runs, retiring his first 15 batters for the game.

The Colonels staggered their first five hits throughout the first, third and sixth innings. They acquired their last five runs in the ninth inning to win the game 10-2.

Another streak snapped was redshirt sophomore Blake Bergeron’s 12-game hitting streak when he was unsuccessful in the LSU game.

Despite ending his streak, Bergeron leads the team with a .352 batting average. He has recorded 25 hits and is tied for first on the team. He has posted six doubles, two triples and one homerun and has batted in 12 Colonels in his 71 at bats.

The Colonels had another loss against the Jaguars of Southern University as they fell 11-4 Tuesday night.

Before this game, the Colonels had won the past three games against the Jaguars this season.

The Colonels started off with a 3-0 lead in the top of the fourth when sophomore pitcher Ryan Cooper ran into trouble in the bottom of the fourth inning as four Jaguar runners found home plate.

After tying the game 4-4 in the top of the fifth inning, the Colonels did not to plate any more runners for the game.

The Colonels cap off their five-game series with Southern University on March 30. The game has been moved from Nicholls to the Southland Field in Houma.

“Nicholls and Southern both have great followings in Houma,” head coach Chip Durham said. “This is a great chance for us to reach out to the Houma area and try to get a big crowd to come support our guys.”

The Jaguars plated two runners in the bottom of the fifth, two in the bottom of the sixth and three in the bottom of the eighth.

The Jaguars came off of a two-game losing streak against LSU and the University of Louisiana-Lafayette. The Colonels will try to stay away from another losing streak.

The Colonels might start a new winning streak as they take on the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin in a three-game series starting 6 p.m. Friday at Ray E. Didier Field.