Staff pays tribute to retiring adviser

Personal opinions

As this is the last paper of the semester that we as a staff will work with our adviser, Lesley Marcello, before she retires, we thought it would be appropriate to pay tribute to a woman who has taught and inspired us in so many ways.

So here is a sampling of memories and lessons learned, as told by some of our staff members. And from those who were unable to contribute, we speak for them.

Aime Gauchet, editor

Four years ago, a gangly, mousy, scared little freshman walked into the doors of Student Publications and Printing. She had worked on her high school newspaper, and she carried a folder full of her work.

She was intimidated by the fact that this was a big college newspaper. She didn’t think she would get a job. But she did — as a staff writer. And all because the adviser gave her a chance.

Four years, four jobs, a few triumphs and many heartaches later, that freshman is no longer gangly or quite as scared, is still a little on the mousy side, and is much more confident in her abilities, all because of that chance the adviser took.

And though that student was never good at expressing emotional sentiments, she would just like to extend a heartfelt “thank you” to her adviser.

So, thank you for all you’ve ever done or given me, Mrs. Lesley. You’ve helped shape me and given me a little more confidence in my abilities.

I’ll never forget a lot of stories, like Damon sitting in the chair, or Ricky and his oyster story, or the importance of not running fillers or cutlines or pull quotes that are more than three columns long, even thoughg I did that once in this paper. But you know how things go.

I will forever remember the conventions, where you rpoudly showed off your staffers to your adviser friends, as though we were your own children.

And don’t forget going almost head-to-head to start our online paper.

How can I ever forget the trials and tribulations of switching to printing pages to disk, the fun of waxers, or the 20 stories you’ve told us umpteen million times over teh last four years?

I can’t. Ever.

I don’t know how I could ever repay you for what you’ve done for me or this staff. This section is a start.

Emily Guidry, managing editor

Mrs. Lesley has been a tremendous influence on both my life and my knowledge of journalism.

She has been a wonderful adviser to the paper in my time here, but more importantly, I consider her to be a personal friend.

The University is losing a valuable employee with her retirement.

She is one person who always takes time out of her busy day to talk to me and make sure everything’s going okay with the paper, with my classes and with my life in general.

I hope to keep in touch with her for many years to come.

Jaime Lugibihl, lagniappe editor

I’d like to thank Mrs. Lesley for taking the time to tell me all about Thibodaux.

There is so much history around this town that I never would have known about had it not been for her taking the time to tell me.

Also, she taught me what a typewriter is. Enough said.

That’s all you need to know in life. Right? History and typewriter.

James Robichaux, staff writer

Although my time working with her is not finished, I know that when I look back on my college years and think of who at Nicholls has had the greatest effect on who I am, one of the first names I will mention is Lesley Marcello.

This summer, as editor, I plan to absorb as much of her mentoring and her wisdoms as I can.

Reina Dicks, design and layout editor

I have only known Mrs. Lesley for a short time, but in that time I have learned a lot about journalistic styles and techniques.

Thank you, Mrs. Lesley, for your constructive criticism and compliments on my work.

This is the best way for me to learn and I hope that the person taking your place is as helpful as you have been.

I hope you have a wonderful time in retirement and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do now.

Shene Gros, copy editor

Although this job started out a little shaky for me, your warm smile always seemed to smooth things out.

Thank you for allowing me to broaden my knowledge in different areas and for guiding me along this new path.

Your kind ways have influenced me greatly in how to communicate better with students. You will be missed greatly!!!

Thad Angelloz, sports writer

I came to the Nicholls Worth three years ago, and in that time I have gotten to know Mrs. Lesley fairly well.

The one thing I will always remember about Mrs. Lesley were the newspaper meetings where she would go through each story written that week and tell each one of us what we did right, and what we needed to improve on.

Although I did not always agree with her, I must say that her insightful proofreading has helped me improve as a writer.

Through listening and changing some aspects of my writing style I do not get corrected near as much anymore about my writing, and I owe that to Mrs. Lesley. I wish nothing but the best to my soon-to-be-retired advisor.

Gavin Stevens, staff artist

I’ve only worked with Mrs. Lesley for one semester, so I haven’t been able to get to know her.

But, there was one day that we talked and I got to know her (ignore my contradictions).

Through a lot of discussion, we found out that we have mutual friends.

It impressed me that she would take time out of her busy schedule to talk to and get to know me.

Every time I see her she has a smile on her face, which I would constitute as a positive attribute.

Have a happy life. Work’s over.

Brandon Bailey, reporter

When I started working here I was saddened to hear that my first semester working with Mrs. Lesley would also be my last. In our conversations she always gave me encouragement and sincere compliments concerning my writing, as well as great constructive criticism during staff meetings.

Besides the work-related stuff, Mrs. Lesley is wonderfully down-to-earth, always eager to discuss her life experiences with funny stories.

She not only gives great advice on writing and journalism, but on life as well.

She is a great person to be in charge because she knows the balance between being a discriminating editor and being an easy-going person that is nice to be around.

I will be forever grateful to her for providing me the opportunity to pursue my interest in writing and reporting, and I wish her well in her retirement.