Strings program comes to campus

Christiano Rodrigues, freshman from Joao Pessoa, Brazil; Raquel Coutinho, freshman from Joao Pessoa, Brazil and Hannah-Phyllis Urdea-Marcus, freshman from Bucharest, Romania, play their violins during practice.
Photo by: Amy Mahler

The University’s Department of Fine Arts has started a new program in which students can study various string instruments. “I am very excited to start the strings program at Nicholls because I was involved in a similar program at Louisiana State University,” James Alexander, fine arts instructor, said.

Some of the elements in the program are music literature, relationship to the instrument, technique lessons, ensembles and recitals.

Students in the program will be involved in an outreach program in Baton Rouge and New Roads; concerts will be held there and at Nicholls.

As part of the students’ development, guests from all over the country will come to teach for a week at a time.

The strings program currently has four participants, three students from Brazil and one from Romania. The program is not just limited to violins; it also includes the violas, cellos and bass.

Alice Silva, freshman from Brazil, decided to attend Nicholls because of the program.

“Our professor traveled all the way to Brazil, we played for him and he chose us for the scholarship,” Silva said.

The four-year program is not open only to international students, and there is no extra fee for joining the program.

“There are many applicants who want to come here, especially from Brazil,” Alexander said.