Super High School Senior makes mark at Nicholls

Before graduating from high school, Amanda Lyons of Bourg is currently studying full-time at Nicholls. The 17 year-old student received the Super High School Senior Scholarship, which was created at Nicholls to help students who are enrolled in the High School Senior Program.

Because of the change to block scheduling at South Terrebonne High School, Lyons finished all of her school requirements in December, but will not officially graduate until May with the rest of her class.

“Students like Lyons are truly ready and capable to attend college, but they cannot accept scholarships to attend full-time because they will lose the first-time freshman status that qualifies them for TOPS and other scholarships,” Courtney Harp, associate director of admissions, said.

Because Lyons is enrolled in the High School Senior Program, she is not yet considered a college freshman.

“Since I had already taken all of the necessary courses to graduate, coming to college was a great opportunity,” Lyons said.

Lyons is a biology major who plans to become a neurosurgeon.

She has wasted no time in making the transition to being a college student.

She is taking 16 hours class load, works in the biology laboratory and is a member of the Honors Program and the Honors Quiz Bowl team.

“Even though I am only 17, no one really knows. I never feel like an outsider. Everyone is great,” she said.

Lyons has no regrets about coming to college early.

“Maybe I missed out on high school events, but I think that I am definitely gaining very beneficial experience,” Lyons said.

At first, Lyons said that coming to Nicholls before graduation was going to be like a test-run.

“I was really using this opportunity to test Nicholls out. However, I really like it here, and I plan to stay here for my four-year degree,” she said.

“Plus, the biology curriculum is a lot better than I thought.”

Lyons said she is also going to receive the Presidential Scholarship from Nicholls in the fall, which is one of the highest awards an incoming freshman can receive.

In the future, Lyons plans to attend medical school at Louisiana State University Medical School, but said she is keeping her options open.

“I really want to move to the North, because I want to finally see real snow,” she said.

Lyons said being a neurosurgeon is a profession that makes it easy to make a tremendous impact on society.

“I always aim to achieve more than is necessary, to beat all expectations. I am hoping to be able to break new ground in my field,” she said.

Harp met Lyons at a job fair in October, where the idea for the Super High School Senior Scholarship developed.

“She is a very intelligent student, the type we want to attract to Nicholls. I brought up the idea of a scholarship to the administration, and they made it happen,” Harp said.

She said this scholarship is the first of its kind.

“Other schools have offered partial scholarships to pay for one class. But this one pays for up to three students each year who have completed all high school requirements and earned a minimum composite score of 28 on the ACT,” Harp said.