The rite of spring

Personal opinion

Spring is in the air, and you know what that means. Scheduling!! Not quite the answer you thought you’d get, right? Me either. I like to think of spring as a time of fun and picnics and Easter egg hunts and flowers, but the sad reality is that my life never seems to work that way.

I’m not complaining. I’m very used to it. The closest I get to enjoying the great outdoors is when my English teacher cracks open the window in the Peltier classroom. (By the way, the windows in Peltier only open approximately two inches. What’s the purpose of that?)

Besides that, the only other spring ritual I’ve enjoyed this year is scheduling.

Since I only have 17 hours left, and I am stretching them into two semesters, I have the awesome opportunity to take some classes that I have always dreamed of taking.

For instance – pottery. The idea of relaxing with just me, the wheel and clay sounds pretty tempting. The only problem with that image is the whole idea of being artistic – I’m not.

During art classes as a child, I would have more paint on me than the canvas. Seriously. It was really bad. My mom suggested that I quit taking art and try dancing. OK. Not a bad idea.

Which brings me to my next class I’m taking. Aerobic dance. Don’t laugh. It’s true.

I can’t dance. I used to dread even doing a line dance in front of people. I had to quit dancing because I would fall during the dances and hurt myself.

I’m not taking the class to learn how to dance or because I actually enjoy dancing. All I want to do is avoid Master Lee’s P.E. classes. I am deathly afraid of the man.

I was going to take badminton, but then I found out he teaches it. Except he calls it boot camp. You know, push-ups, sit ups . . . all the stuff you would expect to find in a typical army environment.

The only problem with that is that it isn’t boot camp. We’re at Nicholls, and I can only do two push-ups. When you’re required to do 10, that would mean that my grade would be 20 percent. I’m not sure, but I think that’s an “F.”

Classes should definitely be interesting this fall. But right now, I need to go press my face to the window and get a small glimpse of the spring that I’m missing.