New instructor takes shot at student publications

When the fluctuating hot and cold season of fall blew into Thibodaux in 2007, Stephen Hermann, a seasoned journalist and photographer, rolled into Nicholls State University as the Director of Student Publications and a mass communication instructor. Last August, Hermann graduated from the School of Journalism at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln, but he has long been part of the journalism world.

Hermann has been working for newspapers since 1999. During his time in Acadia, Wis., Hermann worked his own small, weekly newspaper.

“I did everything except wash the toilets,” Hermann says, with a big smile spreading across his face.

Before he came to Thibodaux, Hermann worked at the sports desk for the Omaha World Herald, in Omaha, Neb.

For a short part of Hermann’s life, he served in the Vietnam War as a corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps, 3rd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment. He worked as a radio technician and operator. Sometimes he could be found in the field with his bulky radio, but mostly back at the base surrounded by radios.

He recalls not being in the field much, labeling the entire experience as only a small chapter in his life. This is where he really started his work with a camera.

Even though journalism has worked well for him in his life, Hermann’s real joy is photography. In Vietnam Hermann shot a lot of film, some of the most memorable taken at a Catholic orphanage in Da Nang.

“I love photography and making images,” Hermann says with another smile.

At Winona State University in Winona, Minn., Hermann was the Director of Photo Services and the chief photographer. He conducted creative, photographic projects on the side for fun.

In 1993, while working at WSU, Hermann was given the McKnight Photography Fellowship Award from the McKnight Foundation, a foundation that seeks to better the lives of families, for a project on teens and children in divorced or mixed families.

Other projects included working at a home for mentally challenged seniors and putting on events for children such as Christmas plays.

Much of Hermann’s portfolio is filled with pictures of children.

He explains that children make him laugh. “Just because they make me happy and their smiles give me hope,” which gives a touching explanation for the many projects involving children.

As for coming to Thibodaux, Hermann’s son, Robin Hermann, accepted a position in English History at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

After driving down from Omaha, Neb., in a cramped minivan, Hermann learned of the position for the Director of Student Publications was open and he went for it.

The job includes responsibilities as adviser for The Nicholls Worth and La Pirogue, and teaching two lecturing courses in mass communication.

Hermann was thrilled because he loves teaching and being with students on a one-on-one level. As a plus, Hermann had never been to Thibodaux and said he finds the Cajun culture fascinating.

As far as his plans for the student media, Hermann says he is interested in expanding the existing Nicholls Worth Web site to let the journalism students get into the multimedia scene.

“Happy to be here,” says Hermann, “and I hope we’ll get used to the weather.