Fitness classes to come to campus rec center

Les Mills classes including Bodypump, Bodycombat and Bodyflow are some of the classes which will be offered at the recreation center upon completion.
Les Mills Bodypump is a class that uses barbells as the main source of exercise. According to w3.lesmills.com, “bodypump focuses on low weight loads and high repetition movements, where participants will burn fat, gain strength and quickly produce lean body muscle conditioning.”
As stated on w3.lesmills.com, Bodycombat is a cardio workout that tones and shapes, increases strength and endurance and builds self-confidence.  The program is inspired by martial arts.
According to w3.lesmills.com Bodyflow consists of yoga, pilates and other strength building exercises.
Other classes that will be offered are Zumba, Bootcamp, traditional yoga, an abs class, and a 5K training class. These classes will be offered at times that are best for both students and faculty. Kathryn Harrell, Fitness and Wellness Coordinator is looking to offer two classes at lunchtime and about four classes during the evening starting at 4:00 p.m. and the last class ending at 8:00 p.m.
Aside from group fitness and personal training, the recreation center will offer wellness classes and other programs. The wellness class topics include mental benefits of healthy choices, benefits of proper nutrition and proper exercise techniques that will be led by individuals on campus, Harrell said.
One of the group classes will include a class for freshman that will run on a point system which will help students get involved and help keep off the freshman 15, Harrell said.
 Harrell explained that they would like instructors to be both faculty/staff and students. As of now there are some students that will become Les Mills certified, while some are already certified.
“We understand instructing group exercise classes while earning a degree may be too time consuming so we are willing to employ certified individuals outside of the Nicholls community,” Harrell said.
To participate in classes, members will have to have passes to attend them.
“This will help to prevent over crowding, and members signing up and not attending classes causing willing students to sit out,” Harrell said.
For example, if a class is being offered and it only has 25 spots, members will have to go to the rec center the day of the class to pick up a pass. When the member attends the class, they will hand the pass back to the instructor.
Harrell, as coordinator, hopes these classes help the Nicholls community make healthy choices.
“I am very excited about being in this position. This is something I am passionate about,” Harrell said.     
Harrell received her bachelor’s degree from Nicholls in Sports Science and Wellness.
“While acquiring my Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration I was a graduate assistant in athletics as a strength and conditioning coach, Harrell said. I had the wonderful opportunity of shadowing Mackie Shilstone in New Orleans and learned an immense amount about not only proper fitness, but also how to set fitness goals for each individual member because we all know everyone’s body is different.”
Harrell is also an American Fitness Professionals and Association certified group instructor.
 A set schedule for the classes will be released when the recreation center is open,   Harrell said.