LeBistro offers fine dining experience

Lately we have discussed summer activities and books to read, but now it is time to talk about food.  Nicholls students may not realize that there is a great place to eat nearby that offers gourmet food at a good price.
The John Folse Culinary Institute, offers meals during the week to help provide its students with the real time experience in the field they are pursuing.  Located at the Carmel Inn on LA 1, LeBistro offers great cuisine for anyone who chooses to dine in.  
I reserved a table recently and found myself drooling over the food offered.  As I stepped into the dining room, I was overcome with a sense of elegancy.  The tables were set for a three-course meal, the lighting was dimmed ever so slightly, and the attitude of all of the servers was very pleasant.  
Lunch began with a Chilled Mango Soup.  This soup had a unique flavor and was served cold, which took some getting used to, but it was wonderful.  Cooked with bananas, tamarind, and a mint salsa, this soup was different from anything I had ever eaten before, and was delicious.  
The next course, our entrée, was another success on behalf of the kitchen staff.  Choices for that day were Salmon Pierre, Cornish Game Hen a la Creole and Panini a la Orleans.  I decided to try the Panini and was not disappointed.  
The bread was toasted just right, the shrimp were barbequed, and the pickled mirliton gave it a tangy crunch.  It was served with Napa cabbage coleslaw, which was dressed to perfection, and some sweet potato chips, which gave the dish a sweet and salty side that I really enjoyed.  
Our last course, dessert, took my taste buds for another spin as our server brought out a Cheesecake Spring Roll.  The cheesecake was served warm and wrapped in crispy filo dough.  
 Students in the culinary program get academic credits for working LeBistro by taking turns working in the kitchen preparing food and working in the dinning area serving and seating guests.  They get to experience the full effect of a career in the culinary industry.  
During the summer months, LeBistro offers lunch on Wednesdays and Fridays.  During the semesters, LeBistro dinners are offered on Wednesday and Friday nights.  The number of meals offered throughout the session depends on the academic calendar of that session.
The meal calendar for the Fall 2012 Semester will be released around August 15.
During each Fall and Spring semester, meals are four courses and cost $35 a person.  In an effort to fill empty seats at the last minute, students may make a reservation on day in advance and pay a reduced price of $20.
Once an academic session, a Russian dinner is offered, where a seven-course Russian meal is served with wine for $50.
Those who wish to make reservations at LeBistro can call the John Folse Culinary Department at (985) 449-7091.