Oil spill aid offered to students

Student worker Cheri Barbier, education junior from Plattenville, talks to Jasper Theriot, finance senior from Houma, about completing a class attendance verification form Tuesday at the Office of Financial Aid in Candies Hall.
Photo by: Bridget Mire

Members of the Office of Financial Aid are encouraging students who have been impacted by the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Air, or FAFSA, and “Financial Loss of Hardship Due to Oil Spill” form. Casie Triche, director of financial aid, said that while there is no “oil spill aid” out there for students, there is financial help available for them. “The federal government does allow financial aid administrators to make adjustments to financial aid packages based on unusual circumstances, such as loss of income,” Triche said. “Making these adjustments can sometimes make students who were once not eligible for Pell grants, etc. from the Federal government now eligible.” Triche said that if a sudent or members of his or her household have experienced a significant shift in income due to the oil spill, he or she may qualify on a need-based for financial aid. If they are already receiving aid, they could be eligible for more. “It can’t hurt them,” Triche said, “but it can possibly help them.” Students interested in applying for additional aid can contact the Office of Financial Aid by calling (985) 448-4048 to meet with a counselor. Students can also complete their FAFSA for the 2010-11 year at www.fafsa.gov.