Text Messaging, Cell Phone Laws good for people, state of Louisiana

I recently came to see that the usage of cell phones, either texting or talking, while driving has deadly effects.I wish this were not true but almost every week this summer, I would see a friend’s status on Facebook saying “R.I.P.” with a person’s name following. After talking to those friends, I found out that most of the deaths were from a car accident involving a cell phone.

I came to see this for myself when someone who I went to high school with died in a car accident while he was texting.

No one should have their life cut short because of an electronic device that everyone can live without.

While some people may think telling a friend some of the latest gossip cannot wait, it can if it saves your life.

I’m not saying death is the case with everyone who talks or texts while driving; it is just a harsh reality for some people.

In my opinion, texting on a cell phone while driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving.

The driver is still somewhat swerving around the road and does not have all of his or her attention focused on driving, thus sometimes causing accidents.

Texting while driving is also like someone telling you to play “Call of Duty” with one hand. Obviously, there is no way to play the game and be as good at it if you were to have both hands.

Now relating video games to texting or talking while driving may seem a bit out there, but it really is not if you think about it.

When driving, people want to stay on the road and in the lines so they do not get in an accident and have to repair damages to their car or increased insurance, which is the prized possession of some.

However, in “Call of Duty,” players want to complete missions and kill their enemies to avoid dying and having to start all over again. The gamer’s prized possession is the title of “Winner.”

This part may hit home to gamers or those affected. Some people shut out others while playing video games, often leading to troubled relationships. If those people can shut off others while sitting on a couch or chair staying focused on the game, “texters” and those who just cannot wait to tell their best friend about who they saw together can wait until they reach their destination.

While I agree with these laws, I think some aspects need to be reconsidered.

For instance, what good is a hands-free device going to do to allow people to have a better concentration on the road?

People can get so wrapped up in conversation that they do not realize things happening around them.

I have found myself in situations where I am so involved in a conversation, whether it be on a cell phone or in person, that I do not even notice someone calling my name or something going on outside of the conversation such as something on the television, computer or just outside.

With the hands-free device, people will still be on the phone and wrapped up in conversation. It is human nature to communicate when they can.

I’m not calling myself perfect. I used to be that person calling my friend about something I probably thought was important. There is not a single phone call or text that could not have waited until I got to my destination to send.

I have talked to other people about this throughout the summer, but lately it seems as though there are people of all ages getting into car accidents; usually due to someone texting or talking on the phone. Not all of them end in tragedy; unfortunately some do, like my 20-year-old friend whose life was taken way too soon.

Not only does this serve as a reminder that texting and talking on the phone while driving a motor vehicle is illegal, it will hopefully also save people from car damages or even from taking someone’s life.