Abortion debated heatedly among Presidential candidates

Abortion is often a topic that inspires heated political debate because it combines morality, religion, ethics and personal choice on an individual’s right to live and an individual’s right to decide.

Abortion refers to the removal or expulsion of a human fetus from a woman’s womb. An abortion can occur unexpectedly, referred to as a miscarriage, or it can be knowingly induced.

Pro-life supporters believe in the rights of the unborn and essentially reject the idea of abortion on religious, moral and ethical grounds.

Pro-choice supporters believe in the rights of the mother and are against the idea of government involvement or influence in what is considered the mother’s choice.

The Planned Parenthood Federation of America is a recipient of federal funding under the Federal Family Planning program. Planned Parenthood is also the biggest provider of assisted abortions in the country, 3 percent of the organizations’ total health related programs.

President Barack Obama, father of two, has shown a pro-choice record by supporting organizations like Planned Parenthood.

Last year, it was alleged that Obama’s health care bill would allow indirect government funding for abortions. The No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act legislation was passed in the House of Representatives in May 2011. If also passed in the Senate, the bill would permanently prevent federal funds from being used for abortions and related procedures.

“Abortions will not be covered in the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan except in the cases of rape or incest, or where the life of the woman would be endangered,” Obama stated on the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act on July 14, 2010.

Roe v. Wade is a Supreme Court case that is vital to arguments on both sides. The decision made by the United States Supreme Court on Jan. 22, 1973, ruled that a woman, based on the Ninth and Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution’s Bill of Rights, has the right to abort her pregnancy. In addition, the Court ruled that a human fetus only has the potential for life, and thus cannot be considered an individual yet, therefore denying it any constitutional rights.

“Today marks the 38th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision that protects women’s health and reproductive freedom, and affirms a fundamental principle: that government should not intrude on private family matters. I am committed to protecting this constitutional right. I also remain committed to policies, initiatives, and programs that help prevent unintended pregnancies, support pregnant women and mothers, encourage healthy relationships, and promote adoption,” Obama said in a White House Statement on Jan. 23, 2011.

Mitt Romney, who originally believed in a woman’s right to decide, changed his position to pro-life in November 2004. His record shows his support for pro-choice candidates and causes. Romney has five children.

“I believe that abortion is the wrong choice except in cases of incest, rape and to save the life of the mother,” Romney said in an article he wrote for The Boston Globe on July 26, 2005 to explain why he vetoed a contraception bill.

In that same article, Romney explained that he felt young girls needed the consent of their parents to receive medical care.

According to Romney’s official campaign website, he believes that “the right next step is for the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade-a case of blatant judicial activism that took a decision that should be left to the people and placed it in the hands of unelected judges.”

According to Romney’s website, Romney supports the Pence Amendment, intended to eliminate all Title X grants for Planned Parenthood, and the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions.

Rick Santorum, winner of the Louisiana Republican presidential primary and father of seven, is also pro-life.

According to Santorum’s official campaign website, Santorum has been a national leader on pro-life issues. In the U.S. Senate, he wrote the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act and the Born Alive Infants Protection Act, two of the pro-life efforts signed into law by former President George W. Bush.

Santorum also opposed federal funding of abortion and supported President Reagan’s Mexico City Policy that prevented U.S. taxpayer dollars from going to organizations that perform or promote abortion overseas.

As a member of the Congressional Coalition on Adoption, Santorum also supported adoption tax credit expansion to make adoption more affordable.

According to his website, Santorum supports defunding Planned Parenthood through whatever means possible and also opposes Roe v. Wade.

Newt Gingrich, father of two, is another pro-life Presidential Republican candidate.

In a 2005 interview with The American View, Gingrich stated that abortion should be illegal, but was unsure of how to enforce that condition.

Later, Gingrich said that he encourages the public to “select adoption rather than abortion and that choosing abortion is not acceptable.”

On May 15, 2011, according to The New Hampshire Sunday News, Gingrich showed his support for parental notification when minors decide to have an abortion.

Gingrich also supports defunding Planned Parenthood.

Ron Paul, father of three daughters, is pro-life.

“I believe beyond a doubt that a fetus is a human life deserving of legal protection, and that the right to life is the foundation of any moral society,” Paul said on March 29, 2005 in a statement on LewRockwell.com.

According to Paul’s official campaign website, his work as an OB/GYN delivering more than 4,000 babies enforced how delicate and in need of protection life is.

However, Paul has stated that the federal government should not involve itself in issues of abortion because under the Ninth and Tenth Amendments, all authority over matters not specifically addressed in the Constitution is given to state legislatures.

“So while Roe v. Wade is invalid, a federal law banning abortion across all 50 states would be equally invalid,” Paul wrote on Jan. 31, 2006.

Paul also voted in favor of the Pence Amendment, an amendment of the Public Health Service Act, which is a bill designed to ban all federal funding for Planned Parenthood.