Culinary institute relocates progran to Carmel Inn

Shantelle Boudreaux, culinary arts sophomore from Golden Meadow, chops carrots during a class last year in Gouaux Hall.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman

The John Folse Culinary institute moved its Bistro Program to the Carmel Inn while development for a new building is beginning. The total cost of the new building is $10 million. The school currently has $8 million, six of which were given by the state and two which were raised by the school. Chef Randy Cheramie, Associate Dean, says the method of obtaining the final two is not yet decided.

“With the 8 million that we currently have, we can certainly begin construction,” Cheramie said “Of the $6 million, about 750k will be given to the building’s planning commission.”

The building’s development plans will take one year to complete. Construction should begin around this time next year.

The new building will be a single story, 32,000 square foot complex that will start with six teaching kitchens. Charamie says they plan to eventually have a total of 10.

Each branch of the institute will have it’s own kitchen, and every lecture room will have theater style seating as well as a small kitchen for demonstrations. The new facility will also house the student restaurant.

The institute is currently in Gouaux Hall, a building originally created for science classes. A building created especially for Culinary classes is necessary to give students a better experience.

As culinary enrollment grew rapidly, the facilities in Gouaux Hall became too small to house the entire institute.

The Bistro Program gives its visitors an opportunity to experience the achievements of the students on select dates of the academic year. The class requires the use of a kitchen all day. Moving it to another location would allow other classes to use the open kitchen.

The University signed a contract with the Carmel Inn that transformed its existing restaurant into a facility for the Bistro program.

“This was the first time that I’ve ever heard of Nicholls leasing a place off campus for instruction,” Cheramie said.

Former Executive Director Alton Doody recommended the designer for the restaurant. “Thanks to him, we have one of the most stunning dining rooms in the area, as well as a cutting edge kitchen.” Said Cheramie.

“Necessity is the mother of invention,” Cheramie said. With the expansion to the Carmel Inn, and the planning of a new facility, the John Folse Culinary Institute has a new future ahead of them.