Students vote 68-67 pro birth control coverage

By one vote, the Nicholls community voted in favor of the decision for employee health insurance plans to cover contraception at the speech forum held Monday in the Cotillion Ballroom.

Mersaides McDaniel, education sophomore from Berwick, spoke for the contraceptive coverage. Her argument was that contraceptives are used for several health related reasons rather than just birth control. These reasons include reducing a woman’s risk of endometrial and ovarian cancers, clearing acne and regulating the menstrual cycle.

“These medical reasons for contraceptives are what bring me to believe that this is not a moral issue but a health issue,” McDaniel said.

This statement was followed by the argument that by using these contraceptives, controversial resolutions such as abortions will be less likely to take place.

“What’s the lesser of two evils, the small amount of your tax dollars going towards the coverage of contraceptives, such coverage that can prevent an abortion, or your tax dollars going towards helping a woman [having] an abortion that could be prevented if she was just provided this coverage,” McDaniel said. “Is this a trade-off you are willing to make?”

McDaniel also argued that this coverage is a woman’s rights issue.

“A woman should be able to decide when and if she is ready to birth a child,” McDaniel said. “Most individuals and couples want to plan the timing and spacing of their child bearing and want to avoid unintended pregnancies for a range of social and economic reasons. Contraceptives give them the ability to do so.”

McDaniel stated that men receive coverage for procedures such as vasectomies while refusing women coverage for contraceptives such as birth control pills.

“That is just ridiculous. It’s just a double standard,” McDaniel argued.

Katie DeRoche, freshman from Bourg, spoke to prevent contraceptive coverage for all employee health insurance plans. DeRoche argued that this plan violates the First Amendment right that mentions freedom of religion. This means that this plan will be “forced” to all employers even if they do not support this plan.

“There is a reason that this was put into law, and by God it should not be ignored,” DeRoche said.

DeRoche stated that the Roman Catholic Church is not the only Christian denomination against this plan. These denominations include the Baptist, Episcopalian and Churches of Jesus of Latter Day Saints.

“These other religions come to back up the huge controversy of forcing this plan onto the Roman Catholic Church,” DeRoche said.

DeRoche said that employers who cannot afford such coverage may be forced to lay off employees and/or go out of business. Also, DeRoche stated that taxes and products on these items will rise if this plan is enforced.

DeRoche also argued that women who choose not to use contraceptives should not have to pay for women who choose to use them.

“If I choose not to take contraceptives, I do not want my money going to another woman’s personal choice to take it,” DeRoche said.

DeRoche stated in her last point that contraceptives are not always effective, and by making them free, the government is sending the wrong message to teenagers.

“Increasing access to contraception gives teens a false sense of security leading to earlier sexual activity and sexual partners which counteracts any unintended pregnancies and abortion,” DeRoche said. “It is a problem covering up a problem.”

After the votes were counted, the pro side won 68-67, deciding that “all employee health insurance plans should cover contraception.”