SGA,SPA want students opinions,ready to work

As the fall 2010 semester begins, two of the University’s largest organizations, SGA and SPA, prepare for the year ahead.SGA president Brittany Taraba said the organization used the summer to prepare for the school year, get a feel for newly elected positions and get a start on task lists. Taraba said the organization is ready for their part in Homecoming week. A calendar of events for the year has been compiled and SGA senators are already working on motions for items for which students have expressed needs.

SGA is also monitoring construction projects around campus, Taraba said, who spent two days in June presenting plans for the rec. center to the Board of Regents and the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors. The return of the Free Speech Alley and a debate for local candidates during the fall election are also in the works.

Taraba said she wants students to know that the organization’s doors are always open, and they want to hear what students have to say.

“Come to meetings, e-mail or call us, stop by our offices, stop us on campus. We don’t know what students want or have issues with unless they come tell us. We are here for the students and ready and willing to work.”

Taraba also said several SGA positions are still available and anyone interested should go to the SGA office located in the student union for more information.

Johnathan Lynch, SPA vice president, said the organization is currently planning for Homecoming week, which will include a new event that will be open to the entire campus. The organization is also having discussions about bringing big name comedians to perform for the University this year in an effort to attract a wide variety of people. A bigger and better Crawfish Day is also being planned.

“SPA is here for one reason – students. What students want, they get within reason,” Lynch said. “A portion of your tuition goes towards student events and activities, so the more you are involved, the more you get for your money.”

There are spots available on the SPA executive board that the organization is currently looking to fill, Lynch said. Anyone interested should go to the SPA office located in the student union and fill out an application.