Banner system increases protection, organization

Passwords for student accounts are being changed to strengthen security as the University prepares for the transition to the Banner system for the fall 2010 semester.All information for previously enrolled students has been transferred to Banner and each student has been assigned an “N” number, which consists of the letter “N” followed by eight digits. New student accounts were created in Banner and “N” numbers are now the only “unique key” common to all students, Academic Computing Blackboard Administrator Ryan Dubina said.

Prior to the fall 2010 semester, students could use their social security number as passwords because they were “unique and easy for students to remember,” Dubina said. However, Dubina said using these numbers just isn’t a safe practice.

“Aside from identity theft potential, social security numbers are probably information that a student’s parent, family member or roommate could easily locate – if they didn’t already know it. If social security numbers are the standard password, then it would be easy for them to obtain and gain access to student services meant to be secure and private without that student’s permission.”

Not only will “N” numbers be the password for Banner, but they will also be the password for student e-mail accounts, Blackboard, NSU Unwired, Go Print and campus computer log-in information, Dubina said.

The format for new usernames will also be different in the Banner system, Dubina said. New student usernames will consist of the student’s first initial, full last name and one or more digits if multiples need to be distinguished (i.e. jdeaux2). Previously enrolled students, however, will not use this format until the break between the fall 2010 and spring 2011 semesters. Dubina said students will be notified once this identity management issue is resolved and will be informed on what to expect.

Current students are accepting of the Banner transition even though the password changes may cause some confusion.

“The transition from ICAN to Banner really wasn’t terrible. The two systems are pretty similar. It is a little frustrating that the passwords got changed though. Between my social security number, my student ID number and now the new “N” number, it takes a few minutes to remember which number I need,” Kelsey Morris, nursing sophomore from Raceland said.

Mary Babin, nursing sophomore from Thibodaux, said she found Banner to be a more organized website but liked the way the passwords were before.

Students wishing to locate their “N” number may do so by logging into Banner and locating the number at the top right corner of the Web page, Dubina said. Those who need assistance logging into Banner are asked to contact the Department of Records and Registration.

Dubina asks that any student having difficulty with Blackboard, student email, Go Print or NSU Unwired to email [email protected] for assistance. The account is checked regularly and e-mails will be answered promptly if accurate contact information is provided.