“Colonel Close-up” features freshman Heather Verret

Heather Verret, art education freshman from Centerville, sketches in Millet Hall after class.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman

Nicholls has a wide diversity when it comes to students including those of different race, different religious beliefs, commuters and people who stay on campus. Each week, “Colonel Close-ups” will introduce a different Nicholls student and highlight their background, hobbies, future goals, etc.

Heather Verret, Art Education freshman from Centerville, La. came to Nicholls because it was close to her home and family. A positive review of the Nicholls art department also interested her.

Verret, who is a full-time student, said she could be best described as quiet, thoughtful realist who usually meets people by accident and finds optimism appealing.

“Sometimes you can’t help but notice that something is going to happen one way or the other,” Verret said

At Centerville High she participated in the team rocketry contest, an event sponsored by NASA. The contest requires a team of junior or high school students to build a rocket based on certain criteria. The 2010’s criteria was that the rocket had to remain in flight for 40-45 seconds, travel 825 feet without parachuting, carry an egg on one of the body tubes and upon landing the egg had to remain unbroken.

“It was very challenging because I had to use a piece of aluminized plastic,” Verret said. “It slows the rocket’s descent unto earth.”

During the competition her team’s rocket hit the ground, at which point the altimeter, or device that measures height by air pressure, came off.

“The engine we used was equivalent to a stick of dynamite,” Verret said. “We had a beautiful straight flight and the egg didn’t break.”

Her team went to a national competition in Virginia competing against 100 teams and they ranked at 62nd place.

“We were 1 out of 600 teams to get into the top 100 teams, the only team in Louisiana,” Verret said.

Verret said that one of the most bizarre things she did in high school was toilet paper the campus her senior year with some of her friends. During the prank she got stuck in a tree. Her friends did not realize she was in the tree until she yelled for help.

Some of her hobbies include painting and drawing.

“Design is really fun and challenging,” Verret said.

Verret also enjoys reading and creative writing.

“I do a lot of reading,” Verret said. “My parents can barely afford my reading habit,”

Verret said her family has an unusual holiday tradition. Duct tape, freezer tape and staples are just a few items used when wrapping gifts at the Verret household. It is a Christmas tradition that was passed down from her grandmother. Verret said her family does this to makes sure it will not be easy to get into the gifts.

As for campus life at the University, Verret said that the dorms are the best thing at Nicholls, but she dislikes the cafeteria food.

Currently, she is not employed but plans on getting a job in the future.

After graduation Verret plans to go into the education field with hopes of teaching Art or English.

If you know anybody that would make a good addition to the “Colonel Close-ups,” contact the Nicholls Worth on our Facebook wall.