Soccer begins regular season after short preseason

Freshman midfielder Alex Romanelli (22) blocks a Southern Miss. players attempt at a steal as middle and defender Carolyn Noble moves to assist during Sundays exhibition. The Colonels lost 3-2.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman
Freshman midfielder Alex Romanelli (22) blocks a Southern Miss. player’s attempt at a steal as middle and defender Carolyn Noble moves to assist during Sunday’s exhibition. The Colonels lost 3-2.

With a short preseason, the Nicholls soccer team kicked off the 2010 schedule with an exhibition game against Southern Miss before hitting the road for the season opener at the Holiday Inn-Waller College Invitational in Prairie View, Texas.With the combination of new players and returning veterans, the Colonels can improve from a successful season in 2009.

“The biggest thing we want to accomplish this year is in how consistent we play,” head coach Dylan Harrison said. “The other big thing is making sure we are able to put them in the right situations and work hard to make sure what we are doing at practice and preparing for games are in line and give them a chance to achieve the goals we have set.”

The addition of 16 freshmen has really helped the Colonels in practice, Harrison said, and “sets the tone for preparing for games.”

Nicholls will take on Jackson State in the regular season home opener on Sept. 3 before hitting the road for four games and finishing up the non-conference schedule at home against Grambling.

“The way the season’s set up, we have a pretty tough start on the road. Looking at last year results, that’s one of the biggest areas we need to improve,” Harrison said.

Nicholls will begin Southland Conference play in September on the road against Lamar and McNeese State before returning to Thibodaux.

The Colonels will host Southeastern Louisiana, Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston State in their longest home stretch of the season from Oct. 10-17.

“The girls really get up for home games and perform well at home,” Harrison said. “It’s good that down the stretch, we have home games because those are the ones that count.”

After back-to-back road games at Texas State and Texas-San Antonio, Nicholls will return home for the final two games of the season against Northwestern State and Central Arkansas. All home games will be played at the Nicholls Soccer Complex, which is located on Audubon, west of John L. Guidry Stadium.