Colonel football gears up for new season

Quarterbacks freshmen Landry Klann, Justin Rosborough, and Beaux Hebert practice Friday at Guidry Stadium.

The Colonels football team is picked to finish last in the Southland Conference preseason polls.The Colonels are entering the season with just nine returning starters and a new head coach.

Charlie Stubbs is a decorated offensive coordinator that will turn the Colonels into a multi-pro offense.

“They’re doing fine adjusting,” Stubbs said. “We have a lot of competition for positions and I’m really excited because that will bring out the best in everybody. We’re changing from a triple option team to a multi-pro offense so it’ll be interesting.”

The Colonels have three players on All Southland Conference teams, including senior punter Patrick Dolan, who is on the First Team and a preseason All-American.

Senior offensive lineman Brandon Ward and junior defensive back Bobby Felder made Second Team All Southland Conference.

Coach Stubbs is still trying to put together the pieces and figure out who his playmakers will be.

“Everything is wide open,” Stubbs said. “I use the ‘show me’ approach. Some guys may practice well but I ultimately want to see what they’re going to do games. Those first few games I really think that I’ll find out who my playmakers are on offense, defense and special teams.”

The Colonels are returning sophomore quarterback LaQuintin Caston to the offense to go along with incoming freshman Beaux Hebert, the son of former New Orleans Saints quarterback Bobby Hebert.

Caston became the starter for the Colonels at the end of the season and had his best game against Northwestern where he threw for 172 yards and threw for three touchdowns.

“He’ll (Caston) get competition from every one of them,” Stubbs said. “I’ve got all five (quarterbacks) of them in town and on August 5, I’m going to give guys some work real early and see where it shakes out. Then we’ll try to pick the top two or three guys and concentrate on them to see who’s going to be the starter.”

Before Nicholls gets into conference play, the Colonels will face three Division 1 schools.

The Colonels will travel to play San Diego State on September 4. The following two weeks the Colonels will stay on the road as they take on Western Michigan and South Alabama.

“We open with a very skilled team in San Diego State,” Stubbs said. “We don’t get anytime to ease into the season. We have to be ready from the get-go. I’ve been around a long time as a coach. I want to bring them along and see us get better each week.”

After starting Southland Conference play, the Colonels will finish up the regular season at home against Southeastern on November 18; the River Bell Classic will be that Thursday.