Ross’ Rockin’ Review

Sleeping With Sirens
Lead singer Kellin Quinn, left, and Ross Landry.

It is no secret that music takes a huge part of everyone-especially college students’-lives. I, for one, can always be caught walking around campus with my iPod playing and keep two guitars in my dorm at all times just in case I get a sudden inspiration to learn or write a new song. Being in a band myself, I can’t stand to hear great bands that no one knows about. My goal in these music reviews is to introduce the world-or at least the Nicholls student body-to some new bands to fill their iTunes with.Since this is my first review, I figured I’d start with a relatively new post-hardcore band. For those of you that are immediately turned off by the word “hardcore”, you may want to give this a chance. This is definitely not your generic scream-and-yell into the microphone kind of band. For fans of The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus’ first single “Face Down”, you may want to check this out.

Sleeping With Sirens, from Grand Rapids, Mich., is comprised of members Kellin Quinn (vocals), Brandon McMaster (lead guitar), Justin Hills (bass), Jesse Lawson (rhythm guitar) and Gabe Barham (drums). The band started in 2009 and is already signed to Rise Records-the same label as bands Attack Attack!, Miss May I, From First To Last and Dance Gavin Dance.

Their debut album, “With Ears to see and Eyes to Hear,” premiered at No. 7 on Billboard’s Top Heatseekers chart, as well as No. 36 on the Top Independent Albums list. They also have one music video for their song “If I’m James Dean, You’re Audrey Hepburn.”

The band creates a great balance of heavy and soft genres. The album has its heavy songs such as “Captain Tyin Knots vs. Mr. Walkway” joined with ballads such as “Let Love Bleed Red” and “Don’t Fall Asleep At the Helm”. The highlights of the album, in my opinion, are the songs that combine both styles-“If I’m James Dean, You’re Audrey Hepburn,” “The Bomb Dot Com V2.0,” the title track “With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear” and “In Case of Emergency, Dial 411.” You can also find a few acoustic covers of their songs on YouTube.

The best part of the album is definitely the vocals of front man Kellin Quinn. He combines the occasional screaming in verses, with amazing clean vocals for choruses. His voice may be different from what you are used to hearing in a rock band, but it is a fresh new sound for both old and new listeners.

I had the privilege to see Sleeping With Sirens this past Friday in Metarie, La., on the last stop of The Pyknic Partery Tour with bands including Drop Dead Gorgeous and Abandon All Ships. I was able to spend time with Kellin, Brandon and Gabe who gave me a free signed poster and shirt. The guys were by far some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. The live show was absolutely amazing. It really got the crowd going. They will be returning to Metairie in October with the band Enter Shikari.

In the end, I give Sleeping With Sirens’ debut album 4 out of 5 for the single reason that not every song is as great as the others. The band is still great for anyone who wants to hear good rock music with great vocals. The album is a big success, and I am looking forward to hearing their next CD. If you would like to see some more of this band, be sure to check out their MySpace at www.myspace.com/sleepingwithsirens. You can also find their album “With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear” on iTunes.