That MMA Guy

One of the biggest fights in UFC history will take place Saturday night, and it’s not even in the main event.At UFC 118, Frankie Edgar defends his belt against B.J. Penn in a rematch that crowned a new champion in Edgar back in April.

The fight is overshadowed, however, by the co-main event, which will see UFC Hall-of-Famer Randy Couture take on boxing legend James Toney.

This is, in a sense, a “freak fight” that UFC president Dana White is normally against, but Toney quickly got his attention.

Toney started trash-talking MMA by saying that he wanted to fight in the UFC to prove that boxing is the superior sport.

After stalking White, Toney finally got what he wanted and this Saturday he will compete in his first MMA fight against an MMA legend.

Toney talked a lot of trash for this fight, and the UFC is promoting this fight as “Boxing vs. UFC.”

The credibility of a young sport now lies on the shoulders of “Captain America”, and who better to carry the flag rather than Randy Couture.

Couture has an impressive resume, as he is a former heavyweight and light heavyweight champion as well as all of his wrestling credentials.

This fight is more than just an MMA bout.

If Couture loses, every boxer in the world will continue to run their mouths and MMA’s rapid popularity growth could be affected. But that’s only if Couture loses.

Toney’s only shot to win the fight is to knock Couture out, while Couture has a plethora of weapons to use.

Couture should utilize his amazing Greco-Roman wrestling skills in this fight and get the fight to the ground.

Couture should ground and pound Toney and shut the mouths of boxers all over the world.

With so much on the line for MMA, Couture vs. Toney is a must-see for any fight fan.

Also on the card is a number one contender fight in the lightweight division between Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard.

Maynard’s nickname is “The Bully” for a reason. This guy is constantly pressuring people with his standup and great wrestling skills.

However, he will have his hands full when he steps in with one of the elite at 155 pounds in Florian.

Florian is coming off wins against Takanori Gomi and Clay Guida after losing a title fight against Penn at UFC 101.

Florian is one of the smartest fighters in MMA and always comes up with a great game plan.

Florian vs. Maynard and Edgar vs. Penn is just icing on the cake after an epic cross promotional fight between Toney and Couture.

UFC 118 is a stacked card, and with so much riding on the line in one night, how could you not watch this PPV?