Questions and Answers

Nancy Taylor steps into bigger role for the Colonels
Sophmore setter Nancy Taylor reaches for the ball during last years home game against Southern Mississippi.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman
Sophmore setter Nancy Taylor reaches for the ball during last year’s home game against Southern Mississippi.

Sophomore setter Nancy Taylor has some big shoes to fill this season for the Colonel Volleyball team. After appearing in only 17 matches and 30 sets during her freshman season, the Mobile, Ala. native is one of two setters replacing the all time assist leader in school history. In limited playing time during her first season as a Colonel, Taylor recorded 85 assists highlighted by a 27-assist performance against Kennesaw State and posted 18 assists against Jackson State.

The Colonels opened the season last weekend at the Southern Miss Tournament going 1-2. After losses to Kennesaw State and Southern Miss, the Colonels were able to pick up their first win of the season defeating South Alabama 3 to 0.

Taylor saw action in four sets this weekend including the win over South Alabama. The sophomore setter took some time to answer a few questions.

Q: How did pre-season practice go?

A: I think the pre-season went really well. Everyone worked really hard knowing that our first tournament was in a few weeks.

Q: How has the adjustment to a new coach gone?

A: Coach Tramel has done a great job coming in as the new head coach. Everyone was excited and ready for a new coach, so this made the adjustment very easy.

Q: What are you looking forward to the most this season?

A: I am mostly looking forward to seeing how we do in the conference tournament this season.

Q: What is your favorite part about volleyball?

A: My favorite part about volleyball is my teammates. Everyone gets along really well, and we are all close friends.

Q: You are replacing the all time assist leader in Nicholls Volleyball history. How tough will it be to fill her shoes?

A: Amy (Whitehead) did a great job as a setter for Nicholls and Jordan (Karst) and I know that it will be tough to replace her. We are ready and prepared to take her place and continue the great things she did while setting for Nicholls.

Q: Do you have any superstitions? What are they?

A: Yes, I always put my left hand in when we are breaking from a huddle.

Q: What is the best part about road trips?

A: The best part about road trips is eating at a bunch of good restaurants.

Q: You are a student athlete. How tough is it balancing both school and volleyball at the same time?

A: It is tough balancing school and volleyball. Missing class is hard, but I find I do more schoolwork on the road than I would at my apartment.

Q: What is your major?

A: I am a Biology / Pre-Med major.

Q: If you were stranded on an island all alone what three things could you not live without?

A: I couldn’t live without my cell phone, computer and my dogs Judy and Milo

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

A: I like to hang out with friends, shop and watch Will and Grace with Dani (Daigle).

Q: If you were granted one wish what would it be?

A: I would wish that I would win the lottery.

Q: Who is your role model, or who do you look up to? Why?

A: I really look up to the setter from Oklahoma, because she is a very good setter.