NSU vs. Oregon State postponed for Isaac

The Nicholls State football team might have to wait the length of the season to play its “toughest challenge of the season.”
After Hurricane Isaac forced the Colonels to postpone the opening game against Oregon State last Saturday, both schools are looking to reschedule the game later this year, most likely Dec. 1.
On whether or not he is comfortable playing a notable FBS opponent at the end of the season, head coach Charlie Stubbs said he “likes it.”
“If it gets to that, it’s almost like treating it as a bowl game. I have no problem with it because what I’m trying to do is build a program,” Stubbs said.
But in order for that to happen, a few things have to fall in place. First, the Colonels will have to miss out on a playoff berth, and secondly, the Beavers will have to miss the Pac-12 Championship Game, which is scheduled for Dec. 1.
So in reality, not rescheduling this game could be a good thing assuming the Colonels make the FCS playoffs, as Stubbs pointed out.
And the reason the Colonels had to postpone the game in the first place is because 80 percent of the football team was evacuated and bringing them back to Thibodaux proved to be a difficult challenge due to all of the road closures.
With the postponement of the game and lingering possibility that this team might not make it up, the Colonels could lose $400,000 in revenue. Nicholls athletic director Rob Bernardi said not receiving the money would be a devastating blow to the athletics budget.
“As tight as the budget is, not getting that revenue would be a problem,” Bernardi said.
As for the players missing out on an experience, such as playing Oregon State in Reser Stadium, that can potentially hold more than 40,000 fans, it can be hurtful according to Stubbs.
“I think it would have hurt a whole lot more if they didn’t understand why,” Stubbs said. “There’s a clear reason why it had to be postponed, and yeah, they hope we’ll be able to make up for it at the end of the season. But right now, they’re anxious to play a game and see where we’re at, like us coaches. “
Stubbs said it didn’t take the team long to refocus on the next game ahead, which is against another FBS opponent, South Alabama, this Saturday.
And though Stubbs has never been in a situation quite like this before, he believes his team is rebounding well and getting back on track.
“This is a new experience,” Stubbs said. “What we’re trying to do is get back into the routine. It’s good right now, the weather’s warm and we’re practicing on turf, which is real similar to what we’ll be playing on this Saturday. We’re right on schedule.”
Barring another hurricane scare, the Colonels will kick off their season in Mobile, Ala. against South Alabama at 4 p.m. on Saturday.