University’s site moves

University e-mail accounts have gone through changes, and a new domain name, nicholls.edu, is now in effect. “Nicholls is not just easier to remember, but it is more representative than nich.edu,” Sam Cagle, network supervisor for University computer services, said.

Before, the name was nich-academic.nich.edu. Then that domain name was changed to nich.edu, and now it has been changed to nicholls.edu.

“Not realizing the internet would grow to the size it has, the computer science department had chosen the domain name nich.edu when they set up the internet for the University,” he said.

“This name change had been discussed for about three to four years,” Cagle said.

“Being the technical guy who was going to implement it, I’ve always kept an ear to the ground. I knew this would be coming,” he said.

“The change affects every computer on campus, and everyone has asked us to change the e-mail address,” Cagle said.

The web mail site is still where users should go to check their e-mail, but instead of webmail.nich.edu, webmail.nicholls.edu will be used.

“The same servers will be used, it was just a naming convention.”

“Our internet access still goes through the State System Office of Telecommunications, and that is not changing. How we are known on the internet is changing,” Cagle said.

“Right now both names, nich.edu and nicholls.edu, will work, but after Sept. 31, nich.edu will be discontinued,” he said.

“Both name systems are currently running to give users time to note changes, update business cards and letter heads and notify others of the change in e-mail addresses,” he said.

The change in name, cost the University nothing, as opposed to businesses who must pay for the name rights to use a particular domain name.

“If you are a four-year degree granting university, the Internet Network Solutions will host the name at no charge,” he said.

The University’s home web page will also have a new name.

The web site can now be accessed through www.nicholls.edu.

“Hopefully it will be much easier for students, faculty and staff to remember, and it will be easier to give out to people,” Cagle said.