Alumnus returns home for Jubilee

Nicholls Alumnus John “Spud” McConnell has led a distinguished career, appearing in over seventy-five plays and two dozen movies. As part of the University’s Jubilee activities on Wednesday, McConnell discussed theater careers, and performed readings of the character Ignatius Reilly, from John Kennedy Toole’s Pulitzer-Prize winning “A Confederacy of Dunces”, whom he has portrayed in a critically acclaimed stage adaptation.

McConnell, 42, was born in Gonzales. He now lives in Metairie with his wife of six years, Maureen Brennan, and their two children.

McConnell received his bachelors degree in theater at Nicholls in 1981. He then earned his master’s degree at Louisiana State University.

While at Nicholls, McConnell’s activities included being in the Pride of NSU Band, wind ensemble and choir.

McConnell said, even though Nicholls is a small school, the quality of education is as good as any other institution.

“I left to study acting in LA., and I didn’t find the level of education any better than here,” he said.

Due to his portrayal of Ignatius Reilley, McConnell posed for a life-sized bronze statue of the character on Canal Street in New Orleans.

McConnell is also noted for his role as governor Huey P. Long in the off-Broadway one-man show “The Kingfish”.

“I love playing Reilly and Long. They’re Louisiana icons, and are challenging roles to play,” McConnell said.

McConnell is also in demand as a voice-over artist, and his clients include Popeye’s Fried Chicken, Folger’s Coffee, Mobile-Tel and Disney.

For two seasons, McConnell held a reoccurring role on the television sitcom “Roseanne” as John Goodman’s friend, Bob.

He has also been in such movies as “Oh, Brother” and “Miller’s Crossing.”

As for his infamous nickname, “Spud”, McConnell matter-of-factly explains how he earned the moniker, by being overweight.

“I got the name by being fat and being in the Boy Scouts while I was a kid. I also had two brothers while growing up who were always giving me trouble,” he said.

Like many who have theatrical careers, McConnell has lived in both New York City and Los Angeles. However, he has settled down in Louisiana.

“I’ve been to the west coast and the east coast, and now I’m back here on the Gulf coast,” McConnell said.

McConnell said that he enjoys his career immensely, and particularly appreciates being able to persue local work.

“I love my job, and I like that most of my work is done here. I can live here with my family and kids,” he said.

Despite his talent and the critical acclaim he has earned for his work, McConnell’s attitude toward his career remains unpretentious.

“I don’t like calling myself a movie star. I’d rather refer to myself as a working actor. This is my job,” McConnell said.