And this year’s winners will be …

The time for Oscar awards draws nigh. Sunday night, the mysterious veil of the glamorous and the glorious will be unveiled, revealing the winners of the coveted Oscar awards. Although the general public has little to do with nominations or who actually wins, we’re still allowed to voice our opinions. So today, I will present what I consider an Oscar preview. Only, I’ll call them Jaime Awards. If an award can be call Oscar, it makes just as much sense to call it a Jaime, right?

Best Picture

Nominees: “Chocolat,” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” “Erin Brockovich,” “Gladiator,” “Traffic”

The Jaime Goes to. . . “Gladiator.” This movie definitely has all the makings of a best picture Oscar winner – lots of blood, guts, sand, sweaty men – basically everything it takes to get that coveted Oscar award. The tales of ancient heroes fighting for their lives in togas and sandals provides a beautiful backdrop for the emotional complexity of the film. Not to mention, it’s filmed in the Colosseum. What better setting is there?

Best Actress: Joan Allen, “The Contender;” Juliette Binoche, “Chocolat;” Ellen Burstyn, “Requiem for a Dream;” Laura Linney, “You Can Count on Me;” Julia Roberts, “Erin Brockovich”

The Jaime Goes to. . . Julia Roberts, “Erin Brockovich.” Roberts definitely gave her best performance ever while portraying Erin Brockovich. Anyway, it’s time she wins an Oscar. Roberts earned a Best Supporting Actress nomination for “Steel Magnolias” in 1990 and a Best Actress nomination for “Pretty Woman” in 1991, but she’s never taken home the trophy. We think this upcoming Oscar night could be her shining moment.

Best Actor

Nominees: Javier Barden, “Before Night Falls;” Russell Crowe, “Gladiator;” Tom Hanks, “Cast Away;” Ed Harris, “Pollock;” Geoffrey Rush, “Quills”

The Jaime Goes to. . . Tom Hanks, “Cast Away.” What can be said? The man pulled off an astonishing solo act with no support from other actors for more than 50 minutes. He’s stranded on a desert island, fighting off insanity and talking to a volleyball named Wilson. How many actors could pull a Best Actor nomination out of that setting? Tom Hanks most likely will. If Hanks wins this, it will be his third Best Actor award, making him the only three-time Best Actor winner in Oscar history. (Although Hanks will probably walk away with the Best Actor award, special notice should be given to Russell Crowe in “Gladiator.” As a relatively unknown actor, he did an excellent job of turning the stereotypical alpha male gladiator into a multi-dimensional character, abounding with emotional turmoil.)

Best Supporting Actor

Nominees: Jeff Bridges, “The Contender;” Willem Dafoe, “Shadow of the Vampire;” Benicio Del Toro, “Traffick;” Albert Finney, “Erin Brockovich;” Joaquin Phoenix, “Gladiator”

The Jaime Goes to. . . Benicio Del Toro, “Traffic.” The name roles off the tongue almost like you’ve known him your entire life. Benicio Del Toro. He played in “Traffic,” didn’t he? Although you may not have really known about him until recently, he’s certainly the new “hottie” on the hot list of actors. With milky brown eyes and jet-black hair slightly speckled with white, this actor’s looks only add to his appeal as an outstanding actor.

(But he’d better watch out for Albert Finney in “Erin Brockovich.” Finney added a lot of depth to Julia Roberts character, and plays quite a role.)

Best Supporting Actress

Nominees: Judi Dench, “Chocolat;” Marcia Gay Harden, “Pollock;” Kate Hudson, “Almost Famous;” France McDormand, “Almost Famous;” Julie Waters, “Billy Elliot”

The Jaime Goes to. . . Judi Dench, “Chocolat.” Although Dench spent less than nine minutes on the screen, Dench presents a gruff demeanor that occasionally portrays a little bit of humanity. Dench already won a Best Supporting Actress for her role in “Shakespeare in Love,” but we really think that her role in “Chocolat” deserves another one. Not to mention, we want “Chocolat” to win at least one Oscar. It definitely deserves something.