Take five

Personal opinion

Easter vacation. Exactly 10 days of rest, relaxation, fun in the sun and no worries. Everything required for the makings of an absolutely perfect holiday. Whatever. Wake up and smell the coffee. Spring Break is nothing like you see on TV. (See the article right next to this one, a helpful source about the realities of the college spring break.)

However, Spring Break can be fun. Even when you’re holed away like a monk in a cloister studying for all the tests that usually fall right after break, you can still make your not-so-refreshing Spring Break a little exciting.

Here are five sure-fire ways to make sure that your Spring Break is all the fun that TV makes it out to be.

Step 1 – Drink everything out of a straw. It seems silly, but straws make drinking more fun. Even if it’s just water. But one word of caution – always use the fluorescent colored straws that bend. Plain white will not have the same effect. I repeat – plain white will not have the same effect.

Step 2 – Always wear some version of flip flops. I know those of you who faithfully read my column have heard my views about flip flops before. Liberate your feet. Allow them to breathe fresh air and experience Spring Break. Life is always a little perkier with cool flip flops. (If nothing else, you can take them off easier to throw at irritating people.)

Step 3 – Use the word hootenanny at least three times a day. In fact, it’s really funny if say it three times fast. Try it. Here we go. Hootenanny. Hootenanny. Hootenanny. Don’t you feel like you’re ready for Spring Break already?

Step 4 – Play “hey, cow.” Even if you don’t take a long road trip for Spring Break, I am sure everyone will travel a little during Spring Break. The rules for this game are simple. While traveling, roll down your window and yell “hey, cow” at cows in the pasture. This game works best if other people are in the car with you and also yell “hey, cow.” Whoever the cow looks at gets points. (Note: This game could also be played with horses, chickens, llamas, goats, ostriches . . . whatever. Only you would substitute that animal’s name. Ex: “hey, ostrich.”)

Step 5 – Put sand in your shower. This gives you the same effect as going to the beach. You have the water and the sand – two of the three essential ingredients for the beach experience. (The third ingredient would be sun. Unless you get a sky light in the shower, I don’t think the sun thing will happen.) Other people who live in your house might be a little annoyed at the sandy shower experience, but don’t worry about it. We all do what we have to do to enjoy our Spring Break.