University adopts new logo

Nicholls unveiled a new logo representing the progress the university has made over the years, at the Chef John Folse Dinner for Scholarships Monday. “We feel that Nicholls has evolved, and the new logo gives us the opportunity to express this progression,” Michael Delaune, director of University Relations, said.

The logo consists of five parts – a wave, reed stalk, ellipse, globe and eternal flame. Each part is symbolically representative of Nicholls and its relationship with students, employees and the community.

The wave represents water, which is the source of all life.

The reed stalk represents agriculture, which reflects the way Nicholls provides growth and nourishment for people.

The globe represents the world-wide reach of Nicholls, and the ellipse signifies the nurturing spirit of the close interpersonal relationships the university fosters.

The eternal flame is symbolic of the light of knowledge, and is reminiscent of the 50th Anniversary Monument in the quadrangle.

Matt Touchard, a 1983 graduate of Nicholls and president and creative director of Zermatt Advertising & Design Ltd. in Luling, created the logo.

He said the new logo has been the most rewarding project he has completed.

“I really feel close to this project because it’s like a dream come true. My father, all of my siblings and I graduated from Nicholls. I am really proud of the new logo,” Touchard said.

Delaune said, “We’re very excited about this new logo. It distinguishes us from every other university because the new logo is so modern, and it appeals to students.”

“This logo was a late comer to the selections, but it had striking qualities that made everyone fall in love with it,” he said.

Delaune said the average age of a university logo is about seven years; however, the cameo of Elkins Hall has been in use since 1985.

“The idea to change the logo has existed for quite a while, but it is a great expense. However, with the new area code being implemented, stationary and business cards had to be changed anyway. It seemed to be a logical time to change the logo,” he said.

The logo was chosen by Dr. Donald J. Ayo, president of the university, and his cabinet of vice presidents.

The new logo officially went into use with its introduction.