University celebrates Women’s History Month

Women’s History Month is being celebrated this month at Nicholls to acknowledge the accomplishments of all women. The theme of this year’s Women’s History Month is “Celebrating Women of Courage and Vision.”

This is the first year Nicholls is hosting such a large celebration.

The offices of Student Services and University Counseling Center and Student and Academic Affairs organized the celebration.

“I think the celebration helps women identify role models in history, and it helps to build their self esteem by giving them goals to work toward,” Dr. Michele Caruso, director of Student Services and University Counseling Center, said.

Women’s History Month began out of a collaborative effort of a few women in California.

The group of women petitioned Congress to expand the celebration from one week to the entire month of March. Congress passed a resolution allowing national recognition of the event.

“I think that Women’s History Month is a great celebration that will benefit Nicholls students,” Caruso said.

There are several events for the occasion, including speeches, a luncheon, a clothes making project and several displays.

Dr. Karen Wilson, an author and trainer, will address the history of violence against women on Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. in the Terrebonne Room of the Student Union.

Dr. Mary Capps, professor of sociology, will give a speech on women in the workforce Wednesday at 6 p.m. in 251 Polk Hall.

From 11:45 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. March 15, in the Plantation Suite, Women – Work will be available to speak to female students about their careers. Dr. Allayne Pizzolatto will be the guest speaker.

In the Student Union lobby March 19, from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. will be Women’s Health Day. Local hospital and medical professionals will provide information about women’s health.

There will be a lecture series March 20, at 10:30 a.m. in Talbot Theater. It is titled Bonnie Bourg Lecture Series Panel: Women in Medicine.

Paula Schwartz of the Jane Austin Society will present “Mangled at the Movies: a discussion of problems in translating Austen’s novels for stage or screen” March 23 at 9:30 a.m. in LeBijou Theater.

Dr. Joanne Ferriot, vice president for Student Affairs, will speak about sexual harassment in the workplace and in the classroom, March 26, at 8:30 a.m. in the Family and Consumer Sciences building, room 127.

Nicholls students will be able to create Nicholls’ own clothesline project March 27, at 7:30 p.m. in the Babington Hall lobby.

Sodexho will host a luncheon that is open to the public March 28. Tickets are $12 each, and the deadline for reservations is March 26, at 4:30 p.m.

There will also be several displays honoring Women’s History Month in the University Counseling Center, University Health Services, Peer Assistance, Residence Hall Association, Ellender Memorial Library and the bookstore.