Laughter — the medicine of life

The Student Union Ballroom will be transformed into a comedy club March 21, at 7 p.m. for the Wednesday Nite Laugh-in. The new event is taking the place of the traditional spring concert put on by the Student Programming Association.

“The attendance at our fall concert wasn’t as good as we hoped, so we decided to replace the spring concert with a comedy club night,” Jason Gaudet, SPA publicity director, said.

The SPA selected four diverse and nationally well-known comedians: Rich Ramirez, Alexandra McHale, Retta and Don Carter, after seeing them perform at a recent SPA convention.

“We selected these four because of their material and audience’s response.

“We figured that if they went over well with the audience at the convention, they would go over well with Nicholls students,” Gaudet said.

Ramirez who packs in comedy geared for the Hispanic culture, has been performing comedy for more than ten years. He has been working towards a successful acting career with credits such as appearances on “Law and Order” and “One Life to Live.”

McHale, a member of the Actor’s Studio in New York City, realized she could make people laugh. She tried comedy clubs, and became a regular at places like The Comic Strip. She plays on the audience, encourages audience participation, and acts as the mistress of ceremonies for the performance.

Retta, who does an Opera in the Hood act, has opened for comedians like Bobby Collins and Shirley Hamphil. She made an appearance on the Comedy Divas Showcase on “The Jenny Jones Show” and will be making an appearance on Comedy Central’s “Premium Blend.”

Carter, the red-head kid, has opened for acts like Chris Rock and The New Kids on the Block. He has also made appearances on “The Jamie Foxx Show” and Comedy Central’s “Make Me Laugh.” His acts include impersonations and his feelings about being the red-headed, geeky kid growing up.

Each comedian addresses general topics to appeal to the audience. “I think it is going to be a blow out event because it is going to be so different from what we have had in the past,” Gaudet said.

Dress is casual, and no ticket is needed. The event is free to all students with a valid student ID.

“The atmosphere will be fun. We will have tables set up all over, with peanuts, pretzels and possibly candles on them. We’re changing the ballroom into a comedy club,” he said.

“There is definitely something there for everyone. I think it’ll be great.”