Lewis uses hard work, inspiration

Campus spotlight

Nicholls students can gain much inspiration from Suella Lewis’ dedication to her school, work and extracurricular activities. Lewis, 22, is the treasurer for Zeta Phi Beta sorority, as well as the substance abuse and sexual assault team leader for Peer Assistance.

As team leader she regularly oversees “Turnaround”, a program usually presented before spring break in Ellender Hall.

“It’s a program I put on each semester to educate peers on the consequences of sexual activities with drinking,” she explained.

In addition to the “Turnaround” program, Lewis is also involved in conferences aimed at high school students. “Taking A Stand” is targeted at high and junior high students, while “Senior Straight Talk” is presented for seniors. Both seminars educate teenagers on the dilemmas of peer pressure and alcohol.

Lewis, a marketing senior from Lacombe, presently holds a student job as a dispatcher at the University Police Department.

She aspires to work at a pharmaceutical company and graduates in May.

Lewis will be the first of the sixteen children in her family to graduate from college. She has six brothers and nine sisters.

Lewis has deep admiration for her mother’s work ethic and devotion to her children.

“While growing up, I was inspired by my mom. She raised all of us herself. She had to work twelve-hour shifts, and she still does. She is the strongest woman I know. She stayed with us and supported us,” Lewis said.

Now Lewis receives inspiration from her roommate and best friend, Jonie Charlot. Lewis explains that Jonie is also a very strong person and hard worker.

“I am inspired by Jonie because she goes to school full time, has an internship and a job, and yet still finds the time to talk to me,” she said.

In her spare time, Lewis enjoys rollerblading, hanging out with her friends and boyfriend, and playing Ms. Pac-Man.

Lewis likes attending Nicholls due to its small and personable atmosphere.

“When I first came here in the Fall of 1997 I was the only one here from my school and town, and in two days I had friends. This is one of the few campuses where you can walk around and see the same people every day,” Lewis explains.

She also appreciates the relationship that the students have with the faculty at the university.

“I am on a friendship level with many of my instructors. Here they know you as a name and not a social security number,” Lewis points out.