Culinary Institute bestows honors upon local businessman

J.S. “Si” Brown III, president of Bruce Foods Corporation, received the fourth Lafcadio Hearn Award Monday evening at a dinner that began with cocktails at 6:00 p.m, a cooking demonstration at 7:00 p.m., and dinner at 7:45 p.m. He was also the fourth inductee into the Hall of Honor of the John Folse Culinary Institute. “We give the greatest honor that the institute issues to someone who has made a major mark in the food industry in Louisiana,” John Folse said.

The Lafcadio Hearn Award is named after Patrick Lafcadio Hearn. Hearn traveled from Cincinnati to New Orleans, and while in New Orleans enjoyed the Creole cooking.

Hearn opened a restaurant, “The Hard Times,” but after a short time had to close it. Hearn then began to document Creole recipes and produced cookbooks to help preserve the Creole cuisine and culture.

Much like Hearn, Brown actively preserves Louisiana cuisine and culture through Bruce Foods.

Bruce Foods, one of America’s largest privately owned food manufactures, has five manufacturing plants. These plants supply Bruce products to all 50 states and more than 75 countries.

Brown, born and raised in Louisiana, graduated from St. Peter’s College in New Iberia. He then went to Tulane University, where he received his bachelor’s degree in business administration.

After college, Brown enlisted in the Navy and earned the rank of Lieutenant.

“Food is big in Louisiana. The act of preserving that culinary industry and the act of building on it could not be a more important job,” Brown said.

Brown, who gave a presentation Monday afternoon, recalled some experiences of growing up with the food business.

“Bruce Foods started with rice, flour and staple products.

“I grew up with the family business, and my father laid down the law with me. He told me I had to either go out for sports or come home from school and work.

“I did not always make the team, so from that I developed my work ethic,” Brown said.

Although his work ethic is not perfect, Brown said it is strong.

He participates in many organizations, and has won many awards.

Brown’s awards and achievements date from 1986 until present. Some of his most recent awards include 1999 Distinguished Citizen Award, and 2000 International Achievement Award presented by the International Trade Development Group and Le Centre International De Lafayette.

Bruce Foods received the First Place Intermediate Product Award SIAL in 1986, Paris, France, and was the first United States food manufacturing company ever to receive this award.

Brown serves as chairman of the Board of Advisors for the John Folse Culinary Institute, and is also a member of the Board of Directors of the World Trade Center, New Orleans.

Brown is also a member of the International Trade Commission of the State of Louisiana in Baton Rouge.

He has added the Lafacido Hearn Award to his list of achievements and awards.

“It gives me great pride to be recognized by such a wonderful institution.

“I am also very honored to be invited to join the previous recipients in receiving this award,” Brown said.

Previous recipients who were also mentioned were Warren Leruth, 1998 recipient, Ruth Fertel, 1999 recipient and Leah Chase, 2000 recipient.

Brown went on the express his satisfaction with the University’s culinary institute.

“John Folse Culinary Institute is playing such an important role in the state today. There is such a rich culinary tradition here, and to preserve it and to improve on it is what this University is all about. Everyone does such a wonderful job,” he said.

Brown was honored with a special dinner prepared by Master Chef Edward Leonard, who is one of 55 Master Chefs in the United States.

Leonard serves as the American Culinary Federation’s Culinary Olympic Team Manager and as the American Culinary Federation’s Northeast Region Vice President.

Leonard is a recipient of more than 24 gold medals, as well as other awards for cooking.

Besides support from Nicholls, Brown was supported by businesses such as Auto-Chlor, Popeye’s, and Red Bud, who sent representatives to witness Brown receiving this honor.