Midterm madness

Personal opinion

The middle of the semester is here. Yay! Somebody should throw a party. I think the middle of the semester is an occasion to celebrate. You’ve made it halfway through the semester, and summer is just around the corner. However, instead of celebrating, I have spent these past few days enjoying the passing of the midway point by cramming, drinking coffee and frantically going over notes.

I think you know what I’m talking about. Yes. The dreaded word that strikes fear and dread into the very depths of our hearts. You guessed it – midterms.

I really just don’t understand the concept of midterms. Why do teachers feel that we need a test right in the middle of the semester? I know it’s a university rule, but couldn’t we fight it or something?

Teachers should be allowed to give tests during the semester whenever they want. Then, most tests would not fall on midterm week. The concept of having five really hard tests during one week is just dumb.

I had the good fortune of having tests on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and today. Some of my teachers even made mid-terms into a two-day ordeal. You know. Take the objective part Monday. Take the essay part Wednesday. What’s that all about? Isn’t one day of testing enough? It’s crazy to have so many tests deliberately put in the same week. I think the higher-ups at Nicholls secretly want us to do really bad on midterms that way we have to drop classes and take them again – making us the kind of permanent college students that pay money to the University forever.

Well, I decided to boycott midterms. I convinced one teacher that I had given up midterms for Lent. That excuse worked pretty well, especially when I tied in my First Amendment right of freedom of religion. You can’t argue with that.

However, that kind of fell through when my teacher reminded me that I’m not Catholic. Therefore, I’m not allowed to participate in the whole “giving up things for lent” idea. Oh, well. On to another excuse.

I thought that maybe I could petition for midterm exemptions. For example, if you haven’t missed more than one class, and you have an “A” or “B” average, the teacher has the right to exempt you from that class’s midterm.

But on second thought, I decided that might not be such a brilliant idea. I doubt I would ever meet the requirements anyway, and it would only irritate me when some people were exempted while I was forced to study for midterms.

If I ever run a college (wouldn’t that be cool?), midterms would definitely not be a part of the agenda. Or maybe they would. If I have to take them during college, everyone should have to.